Talisman Energy

www.talisman-energy.com

Putting everything in, only to get nothing in return

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

- Competitive salary
- Great office location in downtown and close to numerous shops and amenities
- Free coffee, drinks. Lots of free leftover food from meetings
- Depending on your leader, there is flexibility in your work schedule, opportunities for career development, and mentorship

Cons

- No set overtime policy. Have worked numerous overtime hours in the past few months and have not gotten anything in return. Had to fight to get time off (time that is rightfully mine).
- Severe lack of work-life balance as employees are disgruntled and leaving the company while the employees who stay have to pick up what was abandoned. Goes back to the non-existent overtime policy.
- No processes. This could also be a good learning pro but for the most part, it's always a matter of having to figure out how to do something, go through the hassle of dealing with all the problems that come with it, and accepting the fact that it was delivered unsatisfactorily.
- Stock price is plummeting.
- CEO has been replaced and since then, nothing different has happened to give us direction on how we're going to succeed in the future.
- Management hardly has respect for the lower level employees, aka, the ones who do all the work.
- Certain members of management honestly have no idea how to even format simple things like PowerPoint presentations or change things in Word. It's disgruntling having to hold your manager's hand and make these little changes for them. Each manager should have to go through some Word or PowerPoint 101 lessons! If these are the programs we use daily in our work, they should learn how to use it properly!
- Extremely inefficient approval systems. Everything has to go up at least 5 ladders in the bureaucratic mess only to shuffle down for changes and revisions. Repeat this times 5.

Employees are the ones who do the work to make this company money. Try leading us into doing some valuable work which actually matters instead of hustling and bustling to make you look good.
Work/life balance is an essential to all employees. If you must have us work 50-60 hours a week, then at least compensate us appropriately or lay off the useless work!
There is so much talk about defining who we are as a culture, you can see it in everybody's eyes. In my opinion, the current culture is 'get this done and do it now' while allowing no input from the people who do the work. Very top-down. This creates tired, annoyed and disgruntled employees. In order for us to be happy, give us the ability to voice our opinions, actually listen to them, and in a timely matter, at least try some of our ideas out.

Other reviews for Talisman Energy

Not bad...

Current Employee - Co-Op Student  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Co-Op Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

-Company offers a lot to its employees - e.g., free food, etc
    -Lots to learn - very multidimensional/international oil and gas company
    -Focuses a lot on employee development

Cons

-IT is horrible
    -Bad share price, was consistently under
    -Experience varies from student to student - can be horrible if you end up with a bad department/supervisor. Some particular student roles are boring/you don't learn much, while others are can be very exciting/enjoyable.
    -High turnover

-When making major decisions that affect the whole company and the share price, be more cautious and take time to do your due diligence. Otherwise, the effects can be negative for everybody...

Loved working for Talisman but a changing company - hope they come out of it stronger

Current Employee - Senior Geophysicist  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Geophysicist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Great coworkers and some very fine managers
    Good corporate citizen - I was always proud to work for Talisman
    Fast paced and get-it-done attitude

Cons

Shoot from the hip management style
    The Talisman values (especially honesty and respect) don't seem to apply to management
    McKinsey! Senior management would have been better off having a session with Dr. Phil: "And how's that working for you?"

Buildup in HR, IT, Engineering, Supply Chain Management anticipated rapid growth in exploration and production through successes that never materialized (and would likely have had to be top decile performance relative to peers on a risked basis in order to achieve portfolio success), in part because of lack of investment in staff and poor planning in exploration and production. Management belief and enthusiasm does not in itself create a top-tier company.

There are newer employer reviews for Talisman Energy.

Worked for Talisman Energy? Contribute to the Community!