Taos

www.taos.com

Great technical people, interesting contracts and companies

Former Employee - Consultant  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people at Taos are really top-notch. The technical teams are hand-picked and made up of extremely competent people with lots of diverse experience. I've built some great friendships and really enjoy the teammates I've worked with on projects.

The placements I've had with them have literally been some of the best jobs of my career, even if not the longest lasting, due to the contract nature of them.

Also, as you build a relationship with them, you can go away, do something else, and then rejoin again in the future, retaining your previous time with regard to vacation accrual, etc. Full benefits via Taos, so you don't need to find your own health insurance coverage, etc. And the HR benefits are well-crafted by a company with more than 20 years of experience, and used to the special situations of short-term, contract-based "high tech migrant workers".

Cons

Can be a bit unorganized, since they deal with so many people working "in the field" and out at customer sites. They try to be available for you, and are quite responsive to your needs, but since you are working in remote environments, and not necessarily in close contact with the home office, you sometimes need to stay on top of issues and drive things, so that you don't fall through the cracks.

Work on internal communications a bit more. Sometimes seems like "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing." For the most part, things are solid & very good, but sometimes, you can get crossed signals (or no signals) from the home office, and suddenly feel like you're a bit on your own out there...

Other reviews for Taos

Good Place if You Want to Work Part-Time

Former Employee - Service Desk Technician  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Boise, ID

Pros

Good brand new equipment, food in vending machines is free. Most people are very friendly and helpful. Human resources is really on-top of things and makes sure all the employees feel welcomed. I wouldn't say I enjoyed working there, but I did not dis-like it either. There are good benefits and career opportunities for those who work hard and are able to be-friend management.

Cons

It depends on your position in the company. Some people have absolutely nothing to complain about. As a service desk agent, there is the usual stuff, such as; working holidays, demand peaks and drops off. The service desk agents are worked pretty hard compared to the other jobs within the company. They usually start you out at part time and then promise full time after a few months, which is true for some. Management has their favorites that are promoted really fast, and others that work their tails off and get no recognition. They are pretty good at putting that carrot of "full time with benefits" in front of you. Usually what they do is, start you out at part-time. After training, they give you full time hours for a couple months, then scale your hours back to part time for awhile, then once again give you full time hours. This is basically so they can get away with not having to provide benefits for a full time employee while still getting them to work full time hours.

However, this is all just usual corporate call center behavior, anywhere else will be much worse.

Hire more people, the place is swamped all the time, and don't be so nit picky about things that do not really matter. If the customer was happy, why should it matter that an agent forgot to ask them at the 10 minute mark if they would like to proceed? I should just be implied that yes, handing it off to a desk side agent is an option if things are taking too long.

Make sure the rules are clear and easily accessed; I got in trouble for a few things that I was not aware were wrong, none of them were written down anywhere. Get rid of the dead weight, there are a lot of employees that sit around and do nothing and are still working there... Yet I've seen other hard working and smart employees get fired for stupid reasons.

Good company, good clients

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Variety of work to perform, generally staff is talented and good at what they do
    Smooth onboarding process
    Management lets people have freedom, I did not witness micro-managing
    Great work environment, top notch equipment
    fun, easy-going workplace

Cons

sometimes expectation of client needs and what can reasonably be delivered are not the same, but this is true nearly everywhere

improve communication from upper management to those in the trenches

There are newer employer reviews for Taos.

Worked for Taos? Contribute to the Community!