There are newer employer reviews for Target

You can make it what you want it to be..

Current Employee - Human Resources Team Leader  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Human Resources Team Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target has an overall good environment; however, it all depends on your STL (Store Team Leader) The STL sets the tone for the store and relies on the ETL-Human Resources (and other ETLs) to help manage the team leaders and to help set and drive a lot of the expectations in the store. When you have a great STL who understand that the ETLs aren't always right, as well as a good ETL-HR with buy-in amongst the other ETLs and TLs; you can achieve a great workplace for all! Target is also good about recognition and they have good 401k options and health care with multiple options once you qualify.

Cons

I've seen some horrible STLs and ETLs destroy fantastic teams, because a lot of the new ETLs come straight from college with no previous management experience. All you have to do is flash them a 4 year degree and you're in! Your degree could be in "Dish Washing Theory" and Target doesn't care. Target clearly wants to save thousands of dollars on the salary of a manager and they believe that this will drive profitable sales. I have seen this cost them more money, business and watched them throw those same thousands of dollars down the drain with ETLs that walk out and never come back. Ones who never pull their weight and stay in position dragging their team leaders down. These ETLs negatively impact team moral, turnover , then training and then the cost of replacing all of these people we lost because they can't stand their incompetent executive team leader.

Stop being afraid to terminate executive team leaders that can't do their jobs!!! If you asked the executive team leaders to do half of what's on their core roles, they wouldn't even be able to do it. They can't even support team members on simple things because they never learn how to actually work in the workcenters which they manage! They are of no help to their team leaders or team members and it makes people want to leave Target. Even if an ETL is intelligent, you have no faith in an ETL that can't answer a simple question about Target and they don't seem to know how to use WorkBench to find it!!

8222 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Decent Job, Poor Staff

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Target

Pros

Easy job, great and fun staff members. They were the reason I stayed and enjoyed Target. Diligent about breaks.

Cons

The managers don't listen to advice and seemed to give poor direction. Not helpful at all. They also do not pay very much.

Please listen to your team members. I know some of us are in high school or in our early twenties, but we are working on the floor and know what needs to be fixed.

Not a bad place to work if you get in the right work center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, CA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Great with time off and scheduling.
    Average pay.
    Fun environment

Cons

Horrible promotion opportunity and raises.

There are newer employer reviews for Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!