Just started, too early to make a fair assessment.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources  in  Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Target

Pros

Smart colleagues and a fast paced learning environment

Cons

Standard issues of any other billion dollar company. Same problems are in every business.

Other Reviews for Target

Company with solid values but resistant to change

Current Employee - Target.com Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Target.com Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

Company values are clear and respectable
    Personal development is always in conversation
    Work life balance is good most of the time
    Benefits package is incredible - preventive care 100% covered
    Responsibilities given based on performance not age

Cons

Slow to adopt change in strategies that will push target to be the retail leader
    Resistance to devote resources to Target.com for e-commerce needs
    Feedback driven culture can be overwhelming
    Career development and path is clear but rigid within merchandising
    Company culture is passive-aggressive and not direct, yet conversations about direct topics are daily - makes in-person interactions awkward
    Overall Minnesota culture is very reserved, passive and high school esque - all of which is evident at Target

Recognize that good talent will need to be promoted at an above average rate and not everything fits the cookie cutter Target model

Good focus on leadership and business fundamental development, but opportunity to be more innovative and inclusive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

Strong focus on feedback and developmental. If you have a good manager, there is flexibility with work/life balance (eg work from home or comp time). Fair number of resources to get the job done. Smart people and high energy culture.

Cons

Despite efforts, the culture is not at all diverse and not at all inclusive. There is an overemphasis on how you get things done, meaning the number of layers you need to connect with before getting something done is a little too much - it inhibits creativity and a sense of speed (again, despite talking about "speed is life"). Knowing the future of retail looks different, there isn't an emphasis on new skillsets needed to succeed (and if there was, we wouldn't look to "buy" the talent, but instead focus on promoting only from within).

Admit when we don't know how to do something or when we make mistakes. Be willing to look outside our company for this expertise and take some risks to help the company figure out where to evolve to. And be transparent with the "mold" that Target does create - it's okay - we know it's a large company and that means structure and process - but don't pretend it doesn't. Really focus on diversity and make it a priority to get not such multicultural diversity, but diversity in thought, approach, and experience - and then be open to it!

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!