There are newer employer reviews for Target

Overall the experience is good.

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target is a great brand name to get on the resume, and the experiences you gain are very valuable. Employeers clamour for talent from strong companies like Target.

Cons

When the econmony is struggling, then advancement tightens up. It can be difficult to move up unless you are fortunate to be on a strong category making numbers.

Advice to Management

I advise management to contintue focusing on advancement of talented employees from all product categories whether they are hitting forecasts or not.

reviews filtered by

Good first job

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member

I worked at Target

Pros

-8.25 starting pay
    -Made lots of friends
    -Had a family vibe
    -Small team member meetings before starting a shift to let all team members know what's going on.
    -10% off for certain store products
    -They are always teaching you how to do new things such as cashier, stocking, backroom, electronics etc. in case they need you to do back up some time.
    Team members always help when they can.
    Overall, Working at Target was an amazing first time job experience for me. I always looked to going back to work the next day, The vibe you get when working is as if you're all a family. If I had a chance to work there again, I would.

Cons

-It can be hard to get recognition for your hard work unless a team leader notices that it's you doing the work.

-They don't supply you a uniform. You have to buy it with money out of your own pocket.

-Team leaders play favorites. If you're a hard worker and get the job done but you're just "ok" with team leaders, Don't expect to stay working for them. They will replace you. My biggest regret is that I didn't talk much to my team leaders, Although I got along fine with them when we did talk, I didn't really have conversations with them. Which led to me being laid off and them keeping someone who did not do as much work and hours as much as I did but he was very social with them.

-Customers need to be called "Guest"
    -Customers can be rude, Although I rarely had to deal with a rude customer.
    -If you're working cashier, Expect to hear many complaints from customers about how long they have been waiting when it's obviously a busy work day.
    -They don't teach you any leadership skills! If you decide you want to become a team leader, Good luck with that. No one teaches you on how to become a team leader, and I rarely heard of anyone getting promoted. I assume you just need to be on good terms with leaders for a while and you'll eventually get your own leadership title.

Advice to Management

Leaders should take some time once in a while to actually see who is getting work done and who isn't. It's pretty sad when hard workers get laid off and leaders decide to keep someone who hardly does anything but got kept because they are good buddies with leaders. Not all leaders are like this though, There are some leaders that actually care about the team and do give recognition to fellow team members, But sadly it's just one or two leaders who will recognize it.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Store Team Leader
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits
    Flexibility
    promote from within
    Team focused

Cons

All stores are not the same, unfortunately this does not really fit in with the Target paradigm. More attention needs to be paid to individual store needs in order to achieve the companies long-term vision. Also, the company needs to be more focused on innovation to stay relevant.

Advice to Management

Trust your STL's to know what is right for their store and let them sell stuff, after all that's what the store is for.