Fast, not too sure about Fun or Friendly

I worked at Target

Pros

Clean stores, team leads/execs generally were very good about scheduling breaks so that everyone gets their turn. Team members are overall well-trained to do their jobs.

Cons

Atmosphere was a little too stifling for me; execs in particular seemed to take things too seriously. Weird jargon used for tools & culture (the phrase"that's not BRAND" could probably be used in a drinking game).

Advice to Management

Lighten up!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Extremely Disappointed

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you two weekends off a month and a fairly set scheduled workweek with two days off no matter what. 100% match up to 5% of your income for 401k. Health, dental, vision, and numerous other benefits. Great direct supervisor (if you are lucky).

Cons

Even with 2 days off a week there is absolutely no work life balance. You ask for a week of vacation during the slowest part of the year and you don't get it. Days off are spent catching up on sleep due to always having to get up at 2 am. Fellow TLs are spineless and not willing to speak their minds to ETL's for fear of retribution. These same TL's are incapable of putting in a hard days work and would rather that seasonal/part-time workers to get through the workload. ETL's are lazy, take credit when it is not theirs to take and pass the buck when they should be taking responsibility. There is so much more I could talk about but won't rant about it.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring college grads with zero leadership capabilities, leadership skills, and no track record. Hire execs from within the company that have a proven track record as TL's. By promoting from within this will drive some/most TL's a goal to strive for. The current ETL's are fake, have horrible work ethic, and no knowledge of how to lead a team other than by sitting at the TSC wondering why hourly TMs are not getting the workload done. The new Vibe rollout needs to be lived by the ETL/STL as well as talked about. They freak out when their little scores aren't green although they have done nothing to aid in getting those scores to a higher level. All Target cares about is its bottom line and the metrics set up by paper pushers who have never actually done the work they are setting the metrics for. As above I could keep going but won't.

Target is an okay place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some friendly co-workers, many areas to work and learn to work. Opportunity to switch jobs roles. My HR was very flexible with schedule and listened to my requests of vacation, or if I needed more or less hours or if I wanted to switch job roles.

Cons

VERY "clique"ish. Management is very much a clique, so to move up you have to become part of "the cool crowd." I've seen many people who work harder than anyone there who never move up, and people who are told they can't move up because they don't have a degree, but then watch someone else get promoted who also doesn't have one. You're managers often are brought straight in from college with no experience. It's impossible to get full time at Target unless you get a supervisor position, and even then they don't promise full time.

Advice to Management

Try to stop work place cliques. Pay attention to who is doing all the work on the floor. Recognize those people and offer them better pay and promotions. Get rid of the mandatory bachelors degree rule to be a Sr team lead. Many people work for YEARS and know more than someone with no experience who went to college. It should be an equal opportunity. Many of your employees are hard workers but never had the opportunity to go to college.