There are newer employer reviews for Target

It's not that hard of a job but can be annoying

Current Employee - Front End in Whittier, CA
Current Employee - Front End in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get time off unless it's Holidays. Allow shift swapping. Depending on locations, you have cool co-workers. Reviews and raises yearly. 10% discount on everything in the store, including sales/clearance items. It's not great but it's also not horrible. Most complainers are the ones who hate working and come in to work hung over. My store has games and events that make work semi fun.

Cons

Severe favoritism. They hound you to open RedCards. I literally have to force cashiers to promote RedCards. Upper management doesn't care about much other than RedCards, surveys, attachment scores. Some managers are cool and listen. They bring in interns who have never worked a day in their life and they are all around 20 years old. Never want to promote from within but when they do, they chose their favorites. Horrible hours. I work at a huge store that brings in crazy amounts of money. As a supervisor who is trained in 7 different places, I get 17 hours a week. Cashiers get around 20.

Advice to Management

Please stop hiring these fresh out of college people who don't know how to work a cash registers. Yes, I understand that they need jobs too and I know they went to school for it, but seriously, some of the people they hire can't even open a cash drawer. Allow people to show you they are willing to bust their butts to get a promotion. Stop belittling people if they can't do a certain job outside their department.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

A Good First Job

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Flexible Scheduling. They hired me initially to work weekend nights which I didn't mind. A few months in I had free reign over my schedule. Towards the end of my employment they moved me from nights to mornings where I worked 8 to 4. The posted the schedules about 2-3 weeks in advance and gave us plenty of time to reschedule. + Lax Work Environment. As long as you got the work done you were allowed to wander the store and talk to your fellow coworkers. They provided refreshments in the break room at least once a week. There were usually competitions, events, and parties to celebrate a job well done or a good corporate review. + Plenty of Vacation Time. When I started earning Vacation Time I put it to use immediately. They approved all but one of my paid vacation requests without question. The time they didn't approve I was offered a swap that I accepted. You could also take unpaid time off pretty much any time you want. The only time I really saw them make a fuss was when people simply don't show up to their scheduled shift. I can understand that. They give you more then enough options to avoid being a no show. + Very Easy Work. This was my first time working in retail. I was given approximately three hours of training before they set me out on my own. It took me about a month before I got into the groove of things and another two months before I started getting compliments about my work. Anyone can do this work. + Co-Workers were Friendly. There was not a lot of competition among employees. As long as you're respectful towards your fellow employees they're willing to support you and help you out when you need it. In turn you're expected to lend a hand wherever its needed so all the work is done for the evening. Most of the Mangers were also friendly and willing to converse if they were on the Sales Floor.

Cons

+ Not Enough Workers. The store was constantly understaffed. I worked in Softlines, and on most days there were just four Team Members, a Team Leader, and the Receptionist. The Managers knew we could not give the level of detail needed to keep a good store with the staff we had and just expected nothing on the floor, the tables to be folded, and for nothing to obviously be wrong with the first row at the end of the night. A lot of nights we just went through the motions. + Not Enough Equipment. There was a severe equipment shortage in the store. The pieces that were left did not always work. There were many days that I had time to do work but couldn't because there weren't enough working printers or PDAs to go around. In one meeting they said that there would be no more equipment ordered and we'd had to work with what we had. + Very Easily Overwhelmed. On most weeknights we managed to finish with time to spare. On the weekends, the first of the month, and holidays the work could be nightmarish. There were many Saturday / Sunday nights that we simply did not finish. We were expected to just make it look the best we could so the Morning Shift could fix it. + HR. Forget about calling HR. On most days they were completely inaccessible by phone. After the EHR revamp they became reluctant to fulfill even basic requests and only caved when EHR was down, which was often. EHR was down almost daily for hours at a time and often had glitches. It was completely inaccessible from home so you had to go to the store to put in for time off or correct your punches. + The Rules Aren't Always Clear. The written rules they gave for Sales Floor Team Members were vague. Most of the actual store policies were given verbally and changed depending on who was running the Sales Floor at the time. I was often given conflicting information from different Team Leaders about store policies.

Advice to Management

Try to schedule one or two more Team Members then you expect to get the job done. That way you won't be scrambling to find a replacement when someone doesn't show. Make sure to check up on both the Team Members and the Team Leaders. You can spot someone struggling very early in the night and avoid an end-shift disaster. Have someone in HR dedicated to collecting equipment when Team Members leave for the day. The number one reason equipment isn't turned in is because no one is around to collect it when their shift ends.

2. A very good experience, actually like coming to work

Current Employee - Sale Floor - Hardlines in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Sale Floor - Hardlines in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very team-oriented work environment. Great managers and team members. I actually look forward to coming in to work

Cons

At times, the store could be under-staffed, leading to it being very busy for the workers who are there. However, when that happens, the store is willing to call in additional workers, which means more hours. Also, being a retail store, there's the occasional annoying customer

Advice to Management

none