Target

www.target.com
  www.target.com
There are newer employer reviews for Target

It's not that hard of a job but can be annoying

Current Employee - Front End in Whittier, CA
Current Employee - Front End in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get time off unless it's Holidays. Allow shift swapping. Depending on locations, you have cool co-workers. Reviews and raises yearly. 10% discount on everything in the store, including sales/clearance items. It's not great but it's also not horrible. Most complainers are the ones who hate working and come in to work hung over. My store has games and events that make work semi fun.

Cons

Severe favoritism. They hound you to open RedCards. I literally have to force cashiers to promote RedCards. Upper management doesn't care about much other than RedCards, surveys, attachment scores. Some managers are cool and listen. They bring in interns who have never worked a day in their life and they are all around 20 years old. Never want to promote from within but when they do, they chose their favorites.
Horrible hours. I work at a huge store that brings in crazy amounts of money. As a supervisor who is trained in 7 different places, I get 17 hours a week. Cashiers get around 20.

Please stop hiring these fresh out of college people who don't know how to work a cash registers. Yes, I understand that they need jobs too and I know they went to school for it, but seriously, some of the people they hire can't even open a cash drawer.
Allow people to show you they are willing to bust their butts to get a promotion. Stop belittling people if they can't do a certain job outside their department.

9233 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

A great place for general business education

Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Opportunity to work across multiple product categories.
    * Super fun culture. (work hard, play hard)
    * Great general business education and responsibility given for younger executives. (I owned a $500MM P&L at the age of 25)
    * I had 9 bosses in 6 years, and 8 out of 9 were solid people to work for. That's impressive.

Cons

* Drink the cool-aid. You've gotta fit in with the culture. if you don't, that will hurt your career potential.
    * It's Minnesota, and it's the midwest. You'll encounter passive aggressiveness here & there, and Minneapolis is a relatively homogeneous location. Most people have never left Minnesota/Wisconsin.

Go outside of the midwest for talent. Target's awful at segmentation, and it's because no one understands a non-midwest market.

A great place to start.

Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Target culture is great. High energy and a great place to start out your career. I loved the benefits and I love target, its a great store and company.

Cons

You better be able to work a flexible schedule if you work for target or any retail. Also I hated the push for cashiers to get credits.

Come up with a new option to get credits that dont involve cashiers having to hold up the lilnes and slow down the check out. Cashiers should not have to worry about getting more credits while they are checking out guest.

There are newer employer reviews for Target