Target gone bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay: Target generally pays about 75cent to a dollar more on hourly pay than it's competitors. Flexible schedule: Good for if you are a college student (once I graduated I ran out of there)

Cons

Limit hours: Target has taken the odd initiative to hire more employees but give them less hours and days. To paint a picture for you. You might work four days and barely make 20 hrs. Rarely room for growth: When I first started I heard people say they've been there for 5,6,7 yrs and still can't become team leads (full time position) or qualify for benefits. So basically, even though they are one of the company that consistently hire folks-they also have a hi turn over on employees. Moral of the story, if need you really need money go for it but make sure you keep on job hunting.

Advice to Management

To all you companies that have taken on this practice, good luck with finding quality and loyal employees. I'll give it another 3 years before your employees begin to unionize. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! : )

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. A good company to work with provided you work in a store with good people

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company structured its stores based on providing the maximum amount of resources to help provide great guest service. There are several different workcenters that you can cross-train once you complete your 90 days which leads to more hours and promotion opportunities.

Cons

Since there are many teams that have different priorities you do not have to worry about working too many projects on your own simultaneously. The disadvantage to this is that could also hurt you in terms of how many hours you may get during a week. For example, your workcenter may give you 40 hours a week but come to a certain period of the year your hours may be reduced down to 15.

Advice to Management

When you have a prodigy or a team member with great potential don't start favoritism. That leads to back-office politics which splits the team apart and hinders the overall morale. Too many times I have seen great team members (team members, team leaders, executive team leaders and even store team leaders) leave the company because the politics got too ugly and ruined the fun atmosphere many used to enjoy.

2. Great place to work, but no room for advance.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and management are very well put together. The upbeat feeling while at work keeps a positive outlook for the day.

Cons

The room for promotion is barely existent. At least at my Target, I was told you must have a Bachelor's Degree in order to move into a Team Lead position, which is one position higher than my own. That's asking too much for little pay.

Advice to Management

Let's work with the people who actually try in the store and want to make a difference.