Target gone bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay: Target generally pays about 75cent to a dollar more on hourly pay than it's competitors.

Flexible schedule: Good for if you are a college student (once I graduated I ran out of there)

Cons

Limit hours: Target has taken the odd initiative to hire more employees but give them less hours and days. To paint a picture for you. You might work four days and barely make 20 hrs.

Rarely room for growth: When I first started I heard people say they've been there for 5,6,7 yrs and still can't become team leads (full time position) or qualify for benefits.
So basically, even though they are one of the company that consistently hire folks-they also have a hi turn over on employees. Moral of the story, if need you really need money go for it but make sure you keep on job hunting.

Advice to Management

To all you companies that have taken on this practice, good luck with finding quality and loyal employees. I'll give it another 3 years before your employees begin to unionize.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
 : )

reviews filtered by
  1. Could have been so much better

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members, that's about it.

Cons

Too much:
    focus on deadlines
    Not enough focus:
    on employee welfare
    Product quality
    employee pay

Advice to Management

You have great employees, treat them better. With the amount of profit coming in on a daily basis, you could afford to pay them better too.
    Team members are hired on a part time basis with the unspoken knowledge that you can pay 2 people for 4 hours each and get more productivity then 1 person for 8 hours due to physical constraints. Plus avoid paying benefits. Looks good on paper but does not earn employee loyalty. Garbage in, garbage out. Constant pushing of the employees to meet unloading and stocking deadlines could be averted with better logistics planning. Why compete with the other big box in terms of unloading time, aren't you trying to set yourself apart from the other stores to begin with? This results in breakages and injuries. Products are often broken before they hit the shelves and sometimes, these broken products end up on the shelf.

2. OK I guess

Former Employee - Teamleader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Teamleader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours a week and accumulating vacation/personal hours

Cons

too much work in to little time