There are newer employer reviews for Target

One hell of a retail...but excellent savings..

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 10% employee discount - nice percentage off phone bill -vibrant atmoshpere

Cons

just depends on which store you work....some store's management can be laid back, some can be super annoying cant wear much...which sucks for fashionistas ;)

Advice to Management

Quicken your pace when responding to a problem dealing with a guest!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible Corporate Culture. Political and Passive Aggressive. Do not accept an executive role here.

Current Employee - Distribution Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Distribution Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hi turnover means that if you're looking for a job, they'll probably have one available. Don't expect to work here more than 3-4 years though--good temporary or stop-gap job, and they're counting on that to keep exec salary expenses low. If you "know somebody" in the organization, then you'll do well. It's 100% about who you know, and who you can make like you up the food chain. Don't expect to just do a great job executing your role to gain advancement--if you're good at making your average performance "sound" amazing to senior management during one-on-one casual conversations (called "statuses" at Target), then you'll do well. If you expect your great performance to be noticed or recognized by your supervisor and others without having to campaign, then please don't put yourself through this nightmare. Look somewhere else. If you have a BA and are strong in soft skils, then things might work out ok as long as you don't challenge upward, disagree or show directness in any interactions.

Cons

Promotions are based on personality, politics and how well you can manage perceptions. Target has been successful based on their image, and this extends throughout the executive culture. Absolutely the worst 5 years in my entire 15 year professional career, and even after reading reviews like this one, I thought my experience would be different. Don't make the same mistake. I'm trying to get out as quickly as I can. You will not have the time or opportunity to develop professional skills, education or certifications. Dead end job unless you're leaving a career in politics/campaign management. Introverts, intellectuals, detail-oriented, intelligent people need not apply. Engineers, IT, Bachelor of Science-types can do much, much better somewhere else. If you do take a chance and work eher, once you're labeled for not following all the other lemmings, don't expect to change that percpetion. Just start looking elsewhere sooner rather than later. Also, if you're experience professional expect to be offered a position two to three levels below your current experience. In my experience with close friends being ran out of the company, it's a horribly contrived process aimed at falsifyiing performance counseling in case you sue or contest your termination (this goes for hourly employees too). No severance has been offered to anyone that I know of that's not senior managment (pay grade 17 or above, which are normally filled from within). Be prepared to feel like an outsider until you reach that magical level noteriety and become one of the inner circle. If you're not from Minnesota, you're at an immediate disadvantge. Nepotism is rampant. Without an MBA, you'll likely never be promoted above a PG15. The culture (jokingly referred to as "the Target Culture") is horribly oppressive and passive-aggressively heavy-handed--you won't find many positive reviews on here from folks with more than 4 years of experience. All the high ratings appear to be from new-hires and those still on their "honeymoon"--folks in their first 6 months overjoyed with all the smoke and mirrors geared directly at them. Target also has a full-time staff that monitors internet traffic about the company--so I'd expect most of those reviews are being created purposely from within Target to continue their very successful (so far) and robust PR campaign.

Advice to Management

If I really felt it would make a difference, I would provide advice. Frankly, I think Target is achieving exactly what they desire by my Cons listed above. The want to maintain a young, inexperience executive workforce to keep exec salary expenses low. They're ok with the quantity of senior managers they currently have, and probably won't start bringing in fresh senior-level talent until the retail market gets better. Right now, they're squarely in expense management mode and not willing to pay for real talent. Maybe the happy days of Target will return when/if the economy recovers, but right now "Fast, Fun and Friendly" are three words that just don't apply to the Corporate Executive culture.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, talented, some of the best people to work with.

Cons

Cannot think of a con as I've enjoyed my time here.