Target

There are newer employer reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Softlines

Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Every other weekend off (a god send in retail)
-Not chained to a desk
-Truly get to own your business if you are good at what you do (you get leeway from HQ direction if you have good reasons for what you do and approval from STL or DTL).
-In the same respect, the support is always there if you need it. Or when in doubt, use Google. Their database is EXPANSIVE! Just have to know where to look.
-Business causal attire (beats wearing a suit everyday)
-EXCELLENT benefits package
-Probably the only retailer I know of where leaders in the stores pyramid are neck and neck with employees in the HQ pyramid in regards to pay. For example, a lot of ETLs make as much or more than the Business Analysts
-Random days off during the week and sleeping in on closing nights
-you get to take a mid shift 10-7pm after a closing night (most retailers make you do a "turnaround" aka close and then open)
-If you communicate effectively w/ your stl, you pretty much get to write your own schedule
-plenty of autonomy in my position but still very involved in a team standpoint.

Cons

-Can be political at times but not NEARLY as bad as working in a corporate office (been there, done that)
-Keeping Red and Khaki exciting everyday is a challenge...but a welcome one.
-Guests can be rough sometimes but if you have thick skin, you'll be fine.
-There is no work life balance but this is true of any job that is truly fulfilling. prepare to work 60 hours a week. Especially, if you want to get promoted, I'm hoping this improves as i learn to maximize productivity a little better ;-)
-I really don't know why people complain about working at Target. You people truly do not know how good you have it here. Every job has cons. Life is not rainbows and butterflies. Put your big kid pants on and go to work. Oy.
-discount somewhat disappointing, but standard for department stores (I'm hoping this is an indicator of a low markup).

Clearly, whatever you're doing is working because stores that are on best practice are very successful. However, I am still trying to figure out how Target does this with such little pressure to make sales. Perhaps take some pressure off the STLs and share the load with the ETLs. The only reason I feel the pressure is because I've worked for other retailers who were very sales focused. I don't think drives for results is instilled into all levels nearly enough. You guys need to work that into service academy. I feel that if the importance of making sales were communicated throughout the onboarding process, stores would make their goals more consistently.

9656 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Corporate Life

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The workplace is very energetic, and filled with Type A personalities.

Cons

The culture encourages and rewards individuals who tailor communication to the point of withholding information -- that is, most anything "negative" is purposefully buried internally to dissuade the asking of questions and avoid undesired attention.

It was a fine opportunity.

Former Employee - Creative Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Creative Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Target had a really well-defined brand and a Senior Leadership that was excited to always be moving the needle. There were many opportunities for career advancement for those that were bright and ambitious. I can really say that I learned a lot about business, smart creative and negotiating a complex socio-political dynamic.

Cons

Many of the truly great senior leaders are now gone and the brand seems to be going through something of identity crisis. As it's size increases, so does the bastian of bureaucracy. Ineffectual box-checkers are sometimes allowed to languish.

Remember that the brand is was really made that company great. Also, remember that the brand is more than just a logo, editorial voice or color treatment. It is not a commodity that you can choose to do or not do on any given day, week, month or year. It is the ethos by which you do everything that you do. It's he way you focus on guest insights, financials, political involvement, store design, customer service, etc..

There are newer employer reviews for Target