Above average

Former Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO
Former Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Reasonable pay for retail - Good work culture - Good schedule/hours (by retail standards) - Focus on development - Diverse and fun team

Cons

- College degree required to promote to ETL. I was told directly that I exceeded the expectations of my position and was ready for promotion but would not be considered without at least a two year degree. - Inconsistent standards and expectations from store to store.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the policy that ETL's and above must have a degree. You are losing quality "retail" people because of tis.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Executive Team Leader Softlines

Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Every other weekend off (a god send in retail) -Not chained to a desk -Truly get to own your business if you are good at what you do (you get leeway from HQ direction if you have good reasons for what you do and approval from STL or DTL). -In the same respect, the support is always there if you need it. Or when in doubt, use Google. Their database is EXPANSIVE! Just have to know where to look. -Business causal attire (beats wearing a suit everyday) -EXCELLENT benefits package -Probably the only retailer I know of where leaders in the stores pyramid are neck and neck with employees in the HQ pyramid in regards to pay. For example, a lot of ETLs make as much or more than the Business Analysts -Random days off during the week and sleeping in on closing nights -you get to take a mid shift 10-7pm after a closing night (most retailers make you do a "turnaround" aka close and then open) -If you communicate effectively w/ your stl, you pretty much get to write your own schedule -plenty of autonomy in my position but still very involved in a team standpoint.

Cons

-Can be political at times but not NEARLY as bad as working in a corporate office (been there, done that) -Keeping Red and Khaki exciting everyday is a challenge...but a welcome one. -Guests can be rough sometimes but if you have thick skin, you'll be fine. -There is no work life balance but this is true of any job that is truly fulfilling. prepare to work 60 hours a week. Especially, if you want to get promoted, I'm hoping this improves as i learn to maximize productivity a little better ;-) -I really don't know why people complain about working at Target. You people truly do not know how good you have it here. Every job has cons. Life is not rainbows and butterflies. Put your big kid pants on and go to work. Oy. -discount somewhat disappointing, but standard for department stores (I'm hoping this is an indicator of a low markup).

Advice to Management

Clearly, whatever you're doing is working because stores that are on best practice are very successful. However, I am still trying to figure out how Target does this with such little pressure to make sales. Perhaps take some pressure off the STLs and share the load with the ETLs. The only reason I feel the pressure is because I've worked for other retailers who were very sales focused. I don't think drives for results is instilled into all levels nearly enough. You guys need to work that into service academy. I feel that if the importance of making sales were communicated throughout the onboarding process, stores would make their goals more consistently.

I wouldn't work here unless you absolutely have to

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule with various hours to work.

Cons

I outperformed other team members for 3 consecutive months and was acknowledged by team leader, never a store manager. However, instead of receiving bonuses or higher pay for working hard, I was simply rewarded with a bag of candy for everything I had done. This included coming in on days off to take shifts that had been called out of, working in other departments during busy hours, and help pulling the weight of other workers who did not fulfill what was required of them. Also, the lack of training by management to team leads and team leads to part-time work can be seen. Especially, during holidays when new employees are brought in to deal with the busy season. They were simply pawned on to other part-time workers who may or who may not know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Don’t be so quick to point out all of the negatives without having something positive to say as well. Acknowledge your employees when they do something well or more efficiently because without them the store wouldn’t exist. Help properly train team leads and part-time employees more effectively.