There are newer employer reviews for Target

Overall a strong company. Guest driven business.

Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Greenacres, FL
Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Greenacres, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to gain skills and grow beyond your initial position.
Flexible hours.

Cons

Need a college degree for basic management positions. Experience is not a factor.

Advice to Management

Be responsive to the needs of individual locations.

reviews filtered by

Executive Team Leader Softlines

Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ETL Softlines in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Every other weekend off (a god send in retail)
    -Not chained to a desk
    -Truly get to own your business if you are good at what you do (you get leeway from HQ direction if you have good reasons for what you do and approval from STL or DTL).
    -In the same respect, the support is always there if you need it. Or when in doubt, use Google. Their database is EXPANSIVE! Just have to know where to look.
    -Business causal attire (beats wearing a suit everyday)
    -EXCELLENT benefits package
    -Probably the only retailer I know of where leaders in the stores pyramid are neck and neck with employees in the HQ pyramid in regards to pay. For example, a lot of ETLs make as much or more than the Business Analysts
    -Random days off during the week and sleeping in on closing nights
    -you get to take a mid shift 10-7pm after a closing night (most retailers make you do a "turnaround" aka close and then open)
    -If you communicate effectively w/ your stl, you pretty much get to write your own schedule
    -plenty of autonomy in my position but still very involved in a team standpoint.

Cons

-Can be political at times but not NEARLY as bad as working in a corporate office (been there, done that)
    -Keeping Red and Khaki exciting everyday is a challenge...but a welcome one.
    -Guests can be rough sometimes but if you have thick skin, you'll be fine.
    -There is no work life balance but this is true of any job that is truly fulfilling. prepare to work 60 hours a week. Especially, if you want to get promoted, I'm hoping this improves as i learn to maximize productivity a little better ;-)
    -I really don't know why people complain about working at Target. You people truly do not know how good you have it here. Every job has cons. Life is not rainbows and butterflies. Put your big kid pants on and go to work. Oy.
    -discount somewhat disappointing, but standard for department stores (I'm hoping this is an indicator of a low markup).

Advice to Management

Clearly, whatever you're doing is working because stores that are on best practice are very successful. However, I am still trying to figure out how Target does this with such little pressure to make sales. Perhaps take some pressure off the STLs and share the load with the ETLs. The only reason I feel the pressure is because I've worked for other retailers who were very sales focused. I don't think drives for results is instilled into all levels nearly enough. You guys need to work that into service academy. I feel that if the importance of making sales were communicated throughout the onboarding process, stores would make their goals more consistently.

Worst retail job experience!

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers usually become your friends. It's flexible in hours because the store is open the whole day, typically 8 am to 11 pm. Employee discount. You get to see what goes on clearance daily.

Cons

There is a lot of miscommunication between team leads. No one is ever on the same page. You'll get direction from one TL and completely different directions from another and it leaves you very confused.
    If you complain, they will take the side of the employees who have worked there the longest, even if they are in the wrong. They change rules as they need to in order to make it beneficial for them. They expect you to work late after store closes to organize. Being on your feet for the duration of your shift can get very tiring, and the 15 minute break is sometimes not enough. Customers can be very rude, demanding and bossy and expect you do bend over backwards for them. Especially if they have to wait in line longer than five minutes. You will get cross trained as a cashier so you can do back up cashier, at a moments notice, even though you are in the middle of working on something else.
    Don't expect to work your way to the top here if you start as a "team member". They give those ETL, STL jobs to completely unexperienced college graduates who have no idea what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Please give employees who have worked here for years, (10-25 years) a chance at becoming and executive team leads, store leads, HR executives etc,instead of hiring some fresh out of college graduate who has no experience in customer service, and no idea how to run a store and then pay them over 50k a year! It makes no sense! It is a completely backwards way of running a company!
    And hire more cashiers!