There are newer employer reviews for Target

Overall great company, but so...boring

Former Employee - Cashier in Savage, MN
Former Employee - Cashier in Savage, MN

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are flexible with hours, have yearly raises, enough employees to cover your time off, great customers, great benefits, you get to know whenever something new comes out, because everyone buys it, you know when the best sales are, great experiance for high schoolers. There is also plenty of room to move up from wherever you start out!

Cons

This job was just really boring, and there is no music in the store and it is so dry. My hands were always raw within the first 30 minutes of my shift due to dryness and paper bags!

Advice to Management

Add moistorizer to each cash register and add light music to the store, music makes customers happier, willing to buy a CD if they like a song, and forget about how long they are at the store.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

Best Company Ever

Current Employee - Group Manager
    Current Employee - Group Manager

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focus on development, rewards for results, great team to grow your career or start a new one. I've worked for 5 different companies in my 20 year career -- Target bests them all hands down as my best and favorite employer.

Cons

Target's culture isn't for everyone. Highly collaborative with emphasis on "how" you get results. To be successful, you need to be willing to accept tough feedback and act on it.

2. Great Career Opportunities for Young Professional, but VERY Political

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement Fun culture...work hard and play hard Good company to have on the resume Great tools and capabilities Best in class training and development Great support and people Fun downtown location Great facilities and fringe benefits at HQ 401k match

Cons

VERY Political, creates very noticeable differences in preferential treatment and opportunities for select few Strong experience, superior skills, and true talent not rewarded as much as those with MBA, come from big name school, or those who are just good at networking with the "right" people Ceiling to advance beyond certain levels if you don't have an MBA Work/life balance in core business areas Expensive to work downtown with parking costs Extremely young demographic due to up or out mentality

Advice to Management

Promote fairly from within. Agree that an MBA is worth more and does open doors, but the value they place on this is obsessive that puts people in roles that they can't handle due to lack of experience and the pay differential is excessive. Have known many very talent people exit Target due to frustration over this. Business-wise, they are doing a lot of the right things...keep up with the constant innovation.