There are newer employer reviews for Target

Better than most retail places, but that isn't saying much.

Former Employee - Guest Services in Bolingbrook, IL
Former Employee - Guest Services in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours - many employees willing to work for you if you ask around.
Benefits aren't bad - vacation, health insurance, etc.

Cons

Difficult to advance - All ETL's (executive team leaders have bachelor's degrees yet sometimes seem none too bright)
Nasty customers - moreso than other stores we get people who won't be happy no matter what. I've worked for many different places and never seen people as vile as they shop here. It doesn't help that management is willing to bend over backwards to screw them sometimes.
There are favorites, and you'll know if you're one of them and know if you aren't.
Redcard sales
Company is anti-union
Minimum wage with yearly pay raises in the 12 to 30 cent range, give or take
Managers treat you like children - always expected to look busy even if there's nothing to do

Advice to Management

Why don't you hire the people for ETL roles that come into work happy everyday and bust their butt for this company as opposed to people with Liberal Arts degrees that somehow know nothing about retail?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

People Are Great; Can't Pay My Bills.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the people I work with are great. There are decent benefits (health, 401k). The culture is positive and there is recognition of your hard work by peers and supervisors.

Cons

As a Team Lead, I am grossly underpaid. It's a management position, but is still an hourly wage instead of salary. It is not commensurate with the level of responsibility. After taxes, my net is $22,000+ a year...keep in mind I'm responsible for over 10 Team Members and a multi-million dollar department. Working off the clock to get paperwork/scheduling done is sometimes a necessity because you are spread so thin between being on the sales floor performing tasks and providing break/lunch coverage for GS Team Lead, Guest Service Desk, etc. Also, no matter what experience you have as a Team Lead, you cannot move up the ladder any higher (Executive Team Lead) unless you have a 4-year degree, which of course means you will never have a significant jump in pay.

Advice to Management

Provide separate payroll category for Team Leads to do weekly scheduling. Team Lead position should be salary. A management position should not have a wage below $30,000/year; the level of responsibility of a Team Lead is far too great to be paid under this. Allow Team Leads with experience, but not a 4-year degree, to be ETL's.

Target Review

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Madison, WI

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and hours. Good atmosphere and co workers.

Cons

Very hard to promote from within. Promotion is not skill based but based almost solely on how much management likes you.

Advice to Management

Change annual review and promotion processes.