Target

www.target.com
There are newer employer reviews for Target

Moved up quickly, company changed a lot...

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New York, NY
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New York, NY

I worked at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Potential growth if that is what you want.

Cons

Amount of workload that is expected to get done. It's not possible. Each year they add more and more change or policy on your plate. You work well over 50 hours a week. No work life balance

I was promoted internally.. Please train new executives properly. Business college is a joke. The worst part, and part of the reason I resigned was that I had to answer to or work with store managers or exectives that did not know one thing about retail or Target in general. My team felt the same way as well. Target has a lot of loyal employees, it is so demoralizing when there new boss is someone who read best pratice and now thinks they can be a leader. Target is changing and going in a direction that I was not able to follow. I do give a lot of credit and thank Target for molding my career in retail.

9679 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Youth-centric culture. Cult-like environment.

Current Employee - FDC
    Current Employee - FDC

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team oriented. Decent pay/benefits. Employee discount. Mgmt responsive to employee concerns, i.e feedback.

Cons

No degree = no advancement. Too many recent college grads in mgmt positions who have no clue how to run a business. The majority of Group Leaders & even Senior Group Leaders are under age 30. If you don't speak "Target Brand" language then you're frowned upon. Very much a 'Stepford Wives' type environment.

Give those with years of experience an opportunity to advance whether they have a degree or not. I would only recommend working here if you're a college grad or if you have no plans to advance with the company.

Okay job but depends on management.

Former Employee - Target Team Member in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Target Team Member in Worcester, MA

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can choose your own hours.

If you give your store an idea, they will consider or use it in bettering the store environment. I had a minor idea about improving communication on the store walkie system, and to my knowledge, they still use this method today.

If you do well and really help a customer, they will recognize you in front of the entire staff. You won't get a bonus on your paycheck for this, maybe a 5 dollar gift card or a stuffed target dog, but it helps those long shifts seem a tad more worthwhile.

You can get benefits if you're part-time. They don't offer fantastic health insurance, but it's something.

Cons

The store environment and how happy the employees are is very dependent on the store manager (the head honcho that outranks everyone else in the store). The first I had was fairly laid back and if you were called into the office for an infraction, it would be warranted and if it was something minor, you were already given several opportunities to correct it before being called in. The second was very uptight. If any item in your isle was askew (lets just say a liquid soap dispenser), you would be pulled aside, screamed at, and would be threatened to be fired at any moment (what caused me to eventually quit).

In terms of the sales floor managers, again, it depends on the individual. Some would be laid back. Others would scream at you and threaten to fire you at a moments notice. There is no standardization in the style of management at the company. I would find people huddled around the board that showed all the staff working on a particular day or night and could tell
    who was working by either a collective cheer or groan from the group.

There is almost no internal advancement in the company (at least in my store). My store was open for nearly ten years, and to my knowledge, only one individual was promoted from inside the company. Every other manager was hired from elsewhere. This saddens me because even folks working there for over seven years (and had college degrees) were overlooked.

Create a standard management style for all store managers to follow. If every manager had the same exact expectation and attitude toward his/her employees, it would be much easier to work for.

There are newer employer reviews for Target