There are newer employer reviews for Target

Good experience overall. Culture was very different from that of a typical Silicon Valley company.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed being part of a large, multi-year project. I got exposure to several different vendors as well as a more structured approach that comes from a formal PMO.

Cons

Commuting to Minneapolis every week for 14 months was a bit of a wear. Missed my family.

My only real concern was that due to the large percentage of outsourcing (myself included) I didn't feel the passion of ownership that comes from a team comprised mostly of FTE staff. I would reduce the amount of contractors.

8777 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Work with international suppliers to produce product for Target.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Target has a great business model. It's a well oiled machine that efficiently brings great products to market. They are a very responsible member of the community and they donate a portion of their profits to charities.

Cons

Target has a very unique company culture that you must fit. The politics in the company remind me of high school where people are vying to be "most popular." The company has a very top down strategic planning process so many of the roles are pure execution and don't require a lot of intellectual capacity.

Embrace more diversity in your company culture.

Flexible Fun Could Improve!

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First off, I love that Target hired me straight out of college and paid me more than what most college students see when they graduate. I was given a really good introduction into what it means to be a leader at target and how to run my department. My team is great (not the case everywhere) they love doing what they do and are always vigilent of behavior for theft which help me catch them. Peers are great, always changing which is good for me since i struggle with change. STL's are decent. Mine is phenomenal! But some have just been doing their job too long and are not happy anymore or took the job because it pays well and are not relaly in love with it. They are very good about letting you go on military leave and maintaining benefits, great benefits for military reserve members. Educational benefits, tuition reimburesement is a plus, most companies do not partake in this. Work life balance is better than most retail places, every other weekend off and one weekday off.

Cons

I've been on military leave for almost a year now, came back in between, and i understand that i can not make a paygrade until i've been there consistently for 6-12 months. Which sucks because I have adjusted to active duty pay (which is a lot more) either way, not their fault. I get it rules, but it is a downer. Secondly, trying to follow your passion within Target is not so backed as i thought it would be. I have a passion for people and diversity and Target has a whole department in HQ focused on that. Im currently getting my MBA and asked about what ooportunities i could take with that once i got back. I pretty much got the cold shoulder, "well talk about that when we get there" kind of thing. If your like me you plan ahead of time. I plan for the future, because i feel what i do now affects that. I would love to stay with Target but doing something else. Catching bad guys, not my passion. life is too short to be cussed at and struggle trying to catch these no good people. Thirdly, Black Friday. OMG. Last year we opened at 9pm and my team had to be there at 6pm..... That leaves little to no time to spend with my family. I understand that its retail, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are the 2 days you can count on most things being CLOSED!!! NOt here. dont' count on seeing your family even if they live 2 1/2 hours away. Which mine do.

Do not open so early on thanksgiving. Give ETL's and TM's time to spend with family. Please. I see a lot of ETL's leave every year because of 4th quarter stresses. I would like to not be one of them.

There are newer employer reviews for Target