Target

There are newer employer reviews for Target

High Pressure, High Expectations, Little Support- ETL-AP

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent career opportunities
-Good development program to a point
-Could be making 6 figures by the time you are 30... at a cost
-Compensation

Cons

-Work/Life balance is horrible. Mgt. says you are in control of that, but the expectations placed on you force you to work 14 hour days 5 days a week.
-Too many cooks in the kitchen... tons of managers for all areas expect you to be an expert in each area
-WAY too many store visits. Leaders On Duty feel like every second they will be hit with a 10 manager visit. This is even if you just had one the week before.
-LOD shifts for HR/AP leaders.
-High ETL turnover... for the reasons above.
-Forced to "develop" into areas that you do not like. You were originally recruited into an area based on your interests and experience. Guess what? You won't be kept there.

-Put AP back underneath the AP Business Partner. The Store Team Leader is worried about the store business only and never really includes AP. So, in order to make your STL happy, you push freight outside of your workcenter, forcing you to make up your AP duties at other times. My shrink numbers were excellent at the cost of 65-70 hour weeks and missing my child grow up his first year.

-Let's just quit beating around the bush, the ridiculous amount of visits are to justify some district positions. When you pull our ETLs out of there workcenter for 4 hours during a day just to walk the store and give your small amount of advice, we have issues. If you're AP and working an internal for an employee that ONLY works on that day. Well, too bad, you walk the visits.

-Start making everyone from the entry level team member to the ETL more appreciated and more of a focus for the company. I've worked in different positions in different parts of the Midwest before becoming an ETL and the experienced folks that have been with Tgt for decades ALL say the same thing... the company has changed for the worse and it's no longer fun to work at Tgt. Sadly, the only folks truly happy with their jobs 1. Don't have a family , or 2. Work in HQ.

-While both HR and AP should be on the floor for multiple reasons. That can be mediated by the HR/AP person. There is no reason to make them work a ton of LOD shifts and then expect them to have theft/shrink results. My results came from a lot of long days and I still didn't feel appreciated. The STL and upper mgt. didn't hold other ETLs accountable to the AP action plans when they said they would.

My experience overall was a mess. I started out at Target very proud of the company and I became bitter by the end of my third year. Many I knew at the company are now gone or are now miserable.

If you just want business experience, it will work for you. If not, go to a company that allows you to specialize in something and values you and your experience.

9209 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Enjoying experience, lack of communication among team members

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours, good people/coworkers, many volunteer events. meet new people.

Cons

Too many closing shifts, favoritism, rude customers depending on location. Not enough pay.

Listen to ALL employees input not just your favorites!!!! and don't have some new ETL come and fire everyone whose been there for years then be short staffed!!!

Building partnerships and developing others is the key to success.

Current Employee - Starbucks Team Lead in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Starbucks Team Lead in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to develop within a solid company.

10% discount on all Target merchandise and many other discounts through employee website.

Cons

Lack of proper coverage.

Pay isn't always fair to meet your work load.

Evaluate leaders to dictate those who only talk a good game but lack work ethic. And those who honestly drive for results by investing into the company first hand daily.

There are newer employer reviews for Target