Target

There are newer employer reviews for Target

High Pressure, High Expectations, Little Support- ETL-AP

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent career opportunities
-Good development program to a point
-Could be making 6 figures by the time you are 30... at a cost
-Compensation

Cons

-Work/Life balance is horrible. Mgt. says you are in control of that, but the expectations placed on you force you to work 14 hour days 5 days a week.
-Too many cooks in the kitchen... tons of managers for all areas expect you to be an expert in each area
-WAY too many store visits. Leaders On Duty feel like every second they will be hit with a 10 manager visit. This is even if you just had one the week before.
-LOD shifts for HR/AP leaders.
-High ETL turnover... for the reasons above.
-Forced to "develop" into areas that you do not like. You were originally recruited into an area based on your interests and experience. Guess what? You won't be kept there.

-Put AP back underneath the AP Business Partner. The Store Team Leader is worried about the store business only and never really includes AP. So, in order to make your STL happy, you push freight outside of your workcenter, forcing you to make up your AP duties at other times. My shrink numbers were excellent at the cost of 65-70 hour weeks and missing my child grow up his first year.

-Let's just quit beating around the bush, the ridiculous amount of visits are to justify some district positions. When you pull our ETLs out of there workcenter for 4 hours during a day just to walk the store and give your small amount of advice, we have issues. If you're AP and working an internal for an employee that ONLY works on that day. Well, too bad, you walk the visits.

-Start making everyone from the entry level team member to the ETL more appreciated and more of a focus for the company. I've worked in different positions in different parts of the Midwest before becoming an ETL and the experienced folks that have been with Tgt for decades ALL say the same thing... the company has changed for the worse and it's no longer fun to work at Tgt. Sadly, the only folks truly happy with their jobs 1. Don't have a family , or 2. Work in HQ.

-While both HR and AP should be on the floor for multiple reasons. That can be mediated by the HR/AP person. There is no reason to make them work a ton of LOD shifts and then expect them to have theft/shrink results. My results came from a lot of long days and I still didn't feel appreciated. The STL and upper mgt. didn't hold other ETLs accountable to the AP action plans when they said they would.

My experience overall was a mess. I started out at Target very proud of the company and I became bitter by the end of my third year. Many I knew at the company are now gone or are now miserable.

If you just want business experience, it will work for you. If not, go to a company that allows you to specialize in something and values you and your experience.

9053 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

For what it is, it's okay....

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is pretty decent for an unskilled stocking job.
    The job isn't terribly difficult, and it's pretty hard to really get punished. (note, this can also be a negative)
    If you can find a good team lead or ETL, it's a reasonably fun job.

Be warned, the quality of your experience will mainly depend upon the the quality of those above you. While some in management are good and knowledgeable, be aware that many more are not. The way that promotion works at Target means that people are being moved into new spots every 18 months or so. There is always a good chance that the guy being rotated into your area has basically just been dropped into the position with little to no clue how it works.

All in all, it's not a terrible job, it's just okay. The pay is bearable for the position, there's not a whole lot expected from you, and it's hard to get in trouble. That said, remember that this is and should be treated as either a job you work while going to school, or short term employment.

Cons

It is very hard to punish or remove employees that don't do very much.
    The yearly raises suck. It's not a job where you would want to stay a long time. When your only raise for the year is say...35 cents it makes you not want to be there very long.
    The job runs people out the door quickly. (note my last point)
    It's pretty hard to get promoted. Also, anything above a low level management (team lead) position requires a four year college degree.

When an ETL or a team lead rotates into a new position, make sure to actually train them in the position. Many people move somewhere and have no clue what they are doing.

Target Miami

Current Employee - Senior APS in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior APS in Miami, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling (excluding holidays)
    Bi-weekly weekend off

Cons

Holiday (Thanksgiving)
    Development
    Technology
    Employee discounts
    Pay increase for internal promotions

There are newer employer reviews for Target