High Pressure, High Expectations, Little Support- ETL-AP

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader Assets Protection

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent career opportunities -Good development program to a point -Could be making 6 figures by the time you are 30... at a cost -Compensation

Cons

-Work/Life balance is horrible. Mgt. says you are in control of that, but the expectations placed on you force you to work 14 hour days 5 days a week. -Too many cooks in the kitchen... tons of managers for all areas expect you to be an expert in each area -WAY too many store visits. Leaders On Duty feel like every second they will be hit with a 10 manager visit. This is even if you just had one the week before. -LOD shifts for HR/AP leaders. -High ETL turnover... for the reasons above. -Forced to "develop" into areas that you do not like. You were originally recruited into an area based on your interests and experience. Guess what? You won't be kept there.

Advice to Management

-Put AP back underneath the AP Business Partner. The Store Team Leader is worried about the store business only and never really includes AP. So, in order to make your STL happy, you push freight outside of your workcenter, forcing you to make up your AP duties at other times. My shrink numbers were excellent at the cost of 65-70 hour weeks and missing my child grow up his first year. -Let's just quit beating around the bush, the ridiculous amount of visits are to justify some district positions. When you pull our ETLs out of there workcenter for 4 hours during a day just to walk the store and give your small amount of advice, we have issues. If you're AP and working an internal for an employee that ONLY works on that day. Well, too bad, you walk the visits. -Start making everyone from the entry level team member to the ETL more appreciated and more of a focus for the company. I've worked in different positions in different parts of the Midwest before becoming an ETL and the experienced folks that have been with Tgt for decades ALL say the same thing... the company has changed for the worse and it's no longer fun to work at Tgt. Sadly, the only folks truly happy with their jobs 1. Don't have a family , or 2. Work in HQ. -While both HR and AP should be on the floor for multiple reasons. That can be mediated by the HR/AP person. There is no reason to make them work a ton of LOD shifts and then expect them to have theft/shrink results. My results came from a lot of long days and I still didn't feel appreciated. The STL and upper mgt. didn't hold other ETLs accountable to the AP action plans when they said they would. My experience overall was a mess. I started out at Target very proud of the company and I became bitter by the end of my third year. Many I knew at the company are now gone or are now miserable. If you just want business experience, it will work for you. If not, go to a company that allows you to specialize in something and values you and your experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Okay for a season, but not for a long-term job (Food Ave)

Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member in Louisville, KY

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was okay for the job

Cons

Management took their jobs too seriously and didn't listen to suggestions of employees. I worked in Food Ave and they kept telling me how to do things a certain way when they've never even stepped foot in the kitchen other to check temperatures. Never kept right with my availability form I filled out before I started there and at the orientation. Scheduled me on times when they knew I had class and refused to let me off unless they found someone to cover for me. Teamleads all acted like they were above everyone Also not very respectfully tome when I had to travel to TX for my granddad's funeral. They called three times to ask when I was coming back when I only missed four days and two I was scheduled off.

Advice to Management

Lighten up Listen to the employees who actually know how to do they're jobs Pay attention to availability of employee Recognize employees when they do something Don't play favorites with employees who've been there longer and stop acting like a clique

2. This was a typical "college job"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Hadley, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Hadley, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you do exactly as you are told, and then some, and you do not socialize too much, you can be promoted rather quickly (should a position directly above you become available and you apply). e

Cons

Management does not care about you outside of ensuring their day runs smoothly.

Advice to Management

Fix that morale issue ^