Senior art director

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge budgets. Great projects. You get to work with some great agencies and photographers.

Cons

Many in management are fools. Their careers have only escalated because they know how to hire well but they themselves are talentless. You get a creative title but are either doing production work on campaigns that other agencies started or you're managing agencies.

Advice to Management

Ask employees about the upper management. There are some high level folks who make it a bad place to work. You can tell they fear those who are smarter than them.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

The good and the bad

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, Target as a company is doing very well and I appreciate the direction that they are heading as a company. They are doing a lot to attract and engage customers. It is a very friendly environment and everyone wants you to succeed. Opportunities for cross training and advancement are there for the taking.

Cons

Unfortunately, Target like other companies has made major cuts in expenses such as payroll. Target is super hypocritical about guest service on the sales floor. They need to schedule 2 to 4 more cashiers at a time on many days. Because they don't, sales floor is expected to pick up the cashiering slack, leaving only one team member on the ENTIRE sales floor. This does not provide good guest service, and sales floor gets criticized for falling behind on their daily tasks, but they are cashiering so much that it would be impossible to stay caught up all the time. Target preaches that is cares about its team members and is good at training, but many times people get thrown onto the sales floor by themselves on the first day and never get trained on anything. I am a Sales Floor Team Leader. As part of that job I have my own area of the store to watch over, but typically only spend 5 to 10 hours a week in my area due to the fact that I am expected to help with other duties around the store as well. But between area tasks and daily maintenance of a department , they need to provide more time to the Team Leads to do this, versus requiring them to do more tasks such as stocking that they could hire extra team embers to help out with.

Advice to Management

Payroll kills the sales floor team. As stated in my cons section, we regularly only have one sales floor team member on the entire floor due to cashiering. This is not fair to the guests, or to the team, as it severely decreases morale. If we are to provide the level of guest service that you are searching for, we need more payroll.

Pleasant but frustrating at the same time

Pros

The management team is usually flexible about working around other schedules, such as day care or school or whatever. Pay is ok and benefits are solid.

Cons

Working weekends and nights gets old really fast. Employee discount is 10% -- a pittance.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, recognize them more, reward them more. You need carrot and stick to move the ship forward, stick alone won't cut it.