There are newer employer reviews for Target

Great place to work if you're in High School or College. Its still alright if you're looking for any part-time job.

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate, General Sales Associate (Team Member) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- I've always had a very flexible schedule - My co-workers are friendly and excellent. I made great friendships working here. - You "can" have opportunity to move up or around departments if you're a loyal, trustworthy, and a hard worker. - Team member discount is 10%...on EVERYTHING in the store and ONLINE. - Approachable managers

Cons

- A majority of the senior managers are college graduates with little to no work experience. Most of them have terrible management, team building, and team communication skills. - Senior managers (ETLs) have the tendency to "promise" higher positions to team members but never follow through. - Its against store policy to be promoted to a Senior Manager or ETL once a team member. You have to become a Team Lead for 18 months to even be "considered" for an even higher position. You also have to have a college degree despite what work experience you have. - Electronic team members receive no commission and are expected to make sales with high accessory attachment rates. - Hours and weekly schedule can fluctuate randomly. One week you work 30 hours and the next you could work 16. For the most part they stay consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to listen and TRUST your team members. Most employees have a very low team morale as soon as they begin there day. You must motivate them accordingly. Also your full position title is Executive Team Lead...not Manager. To many ETLs take the reigns and drive their employees to the ground. You must learn to lead your team and guide them.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. I liked working for this company, with the exception of how management handled some situations.

Former Employee - Soft Lines Sales Associate/Cashier/Guest Services/Concession in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fast-paced, great co-workers, clean environment, good company policy; I would recommend this job as a first job or to someone that's in college.

Cons

Pressure to push company card on guest; Being timed/graded on every transaction when cashiering; unrealistic/contradictory outlook from management; being seriously harassed by a manager (to the point where I had legal right to sue) and higher management doing nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more; Don't contradict what you tell employees to do; Be more helpful and if an employee is being harassed then you should do what's best for them and not for you.

2. ETL and Intern

Pros

The people are amazing, every store I went to had people who genuinely cared about you. My mentor was one of the best people during my time at Target and her and I still have a friendship today. The discount(10%), on top on a red card(15%)

Cons

The hours, but its retail...

Advice to Management

Once you become a STL doesn't mean you don't have to do anything. I had two really good STL's and one very lazy one. When you reach upper management, you are the person that everyone looks at. YOUR STORE REFLECTS YOU.