Target

There are newer employer reviews for Target

A great environment.

Current Employee - Guest Services in Huntersville, NC
Current Employee - Guest Services in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

FMLA, Family oriented, Fun, Easy Work

Cons

Forced to work part-time, low pay

10049 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

One of the worst experiences in my life!!!

Former Employee - Toys in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Toys in Manchester, NH

I worked at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clocking out and the end of my shift.

Cons

Anything and everything, rude managers, nasty coworkers, just an awful place to work.

The manager that has vanity license plates on their car needs to learn how to interact with the staff. Managers are supposed to assist the staff in anyway possible, not make the job more difficult. The staff should not think "he's grumpy today, be careful what you do or say around him".

Bad jobs All Around

Former Employee - Cashier, Cart Attendant, Guest Services in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier, Cart Attendant, Guest Services in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Being a cart attendant is probably the most relaxing job you'll do at Target.

- Moving up to a ETL position can be quite fast, if you have a bachelor's degree and show you are good worker. But good luck moving any higher than that.

Cons

-Pay is horrible. HR constantly cheats you out of raises or pay increases. HR gave us our raises a month early because they knew minimum wage was increasing and didn't want to give us a raise on top of that to save costs (since the majority of employees are either right at minimum wage or slightly above).

-Hours are consistently terrible. Either too little hours any time other than holidays or incredibly overwhelming during holidays. Constantly trying to save money on payroll, at the expense of overall quality of the store and moral. Then try to blame the sales floor team for it being that way.

-Store environment is toxic. ETLs and STLs constantly contradicting each other and treat their team leads and level ones like complete trash.

-Glass Ceiling if wanting to move up internally. Personally, I never wanted to move up in Target, but I've seen some of the best team leads that never move beyond being a team lead or ETL because its a whole lot more expensive for Target to move up internally than to just hire externally. Training 2 people compared to one person if brought in externally.

-Cutting of healthcare benefits for nearly all non-salaried positions (full-time doesn't exist in target). I have friends/ex-coworkers that still work there and are getting pulled from the company's healthcare because Target thinks they can get a better plan externally, which for most of them is not correct.

-Constantly understaffed due to cutting hours to save 50 or so dollars in payroll. It's not uncommon for the store that should be staffed by at least 15 people be staffed by maybe 4 if not less. This leads to guests constantly getting irritated by the lack of cashiers or anybody on the sales floor.

I worked at Target for 3 and a half years. Consistently, store ETLs and STL would treat their employees like trash. The only time this wasn't the case is when they were trying to suck up to district managers who came every 3 months or so. During this time, all of a sudden ETLs would be sucking up to us and we'd have 10 cashiers and 10 people on the sales floor at 8 in the morning (usually 1 cashier and 2 on the sales floor).

All of this created a really depressing and life-sucking atmosphere. I used to hear stories about how they paid higher than the norm and treated employees with respect. For the most part, this can't be said anymore.

Pay attention to what happens at your stores. Instead of just looking at the store purely the walmart perspective (race to the bottom, cutting costs), look at what you constantly try to say you are great at. Customer service and you can't really do that if you enable such toxic and demoralizing environments. The way you beat Walmart is by differentiating yourself from it not becoming Walmart with a red logo.

There are newer employer reviews for Target