There are newer employer reviews for Target

Get ready to kiss a lot of butt

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've practically been all over the store, learned every department so as far as knowledge Im happy Ive learned so much.

Cons

To promote, it seems like you have to do some serious ass kissing. Ive worked my ass off and still havent gotten promoted. Management always expects too much..

Advice to Management

They need to do a better job promoting people and promote more within! Especially if your store has a lot of talent. Management usually consists of young 22-26 year old recent college grads and frankly they dont all know what they are doing. Promote more competent people, a degree doesnt always mean everything.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Member

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Streetsboro, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Streetsboro, OH

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were very nice and helpful at all times. Given multiple tasks to keep things interesting. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Pay was not as high as I would like. Was not trained enough for most jobs that were required leaving me to guess at what I was suppose to do. Not enough equipment to do job (I.E not enough walkie-talkies or PDAs). Given too much work and not enough time to complete it.

Depends on the management team

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been working for Target for over 3 years. Due to some life changes, I've had the opportunity to work for 3 different stores. The first two stores, I was fortunate to work under very good management. Under good managers, this job is fantastic. It's not rocket science, there is room for promotion, the company really pushes recognition for the team. The work environment can be a lot of fun. When I joined the Company, I was a little embarassed to be working in retail, as it was a step down, professionally. Working at these two stores really changed my mind, and I decided that I wanted to retire within the Company. I was really, really excited about my job.

Cons

This last transfer has seen me placed under a much weaker management team, and is sapping my will to live. Promotional opportunities dry up when your management team is not performing, because if a store isn't performing, who in their right mind will promote that team? As with any job, the management can make or break it. I'm spending most of my days now job hunting, before I end up rage quitting.

Advice to Management

District Managers really need to hold the store level management accountable for poor performance, and look to management styles and work ethics of that management team for high turnover, poor morale.