Target

www.target.com
  www.target.com
There are newer employer reviews for Target

A great company in theory, but losing its focus due to profit and sales missteps

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great opportunities to succeed. You'll go far if you're a female, diverse, or pretty...oh, it helps if you have no idea how to do your job too.

Cons

Extreme "Up or Out" culture at every level. Very politcal.

The C-Level Management needs a reality check of what its like to run a store with the resources they give store management.

9026 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

One of the worst jobs I've ever had!

Former Employee - Cashier in Atwater, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atwater, CA

I worked at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro I can come up with is that the uniforms are simple and comfortable. They pretty much don't care how you dress so long as your top is red, even if it's just a sweater over whatever shirt, or they have little vests that you can borrow.

Cons

Red Cards, rude management, un organized, un professional, the training was a joke, they just expect you to know how to do everything, and get mad if you ask questions. They love to say "I'm always around if you need me" but they're never around. The leaders spend most of their time gossiping with the people working guest service than helping the cashiers like their supposed to.

You push the "save 5%" with the red cards, but don't tell people that they'll get charged 20% interest on everything they buy with it. It's not saving people money, it's lying and stealing. All anyone cares about is the stupid cards, not customer service. If you don't sell red cards it's like you're nothing to this company. Training consisted of "you have an hour to read this book and then take over lane 18 and you're on your own for the rest of the day." And the "team leaders" are NEVER around when you need help, and then get mad as if your wasting their time when you call them. There isn't enough walkies for everyone, and often no cashiers would have one at all so you have no way to call for help, and of course you have to take all the complaining from the customer even though it isn't your fault. You never get sent for your breaks on time, if you even get them at all, but then you'll get in trouble for not being "up beat" enough when you've worked almost your entire shift without a break dealing with rude customers who blame you because you couldn't get help with their issues.

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Maybe the people who work there.

Cons

They do not allow their employees enough time and or hours to get their work done. They told me that if I did everything they asked that I would be put up for a promotion, instead I was kept at the lower manager level in order to maintain the store rather than for my personal gain. They tell you they want to help with your development then do everything they can to keep you there.Some of the employees pay for benefits that are more than their paycheck. Maybe need to consider demographics when looking at the conversion level.

Offer more hours and pay to compensate for the stress of the work.

There are newer employer reviews for Target