There are newer employer reviews for Target

It has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work there are that it is a fast paced environment and always something to do.

Cons

Some times can get to be so busy that it is overwhelming and you tend to get lost in all that you are trying to get done

More Help

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company, but needs better work/life balance.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is always something that needs to get done. If you are a person who loves to do different things every day and work with people this is a great place for you.

Cons

The schedule is very demanding as an ETL. You work a minimum of 50 hours a week, with a rotating nights/weekend schedule, and a potentially big commute. If you are in a good store, it's great. If not, you'll get phone calls when you're not there, be closing the store, then coming in at 4am, plus middle of the night alarm responses. It doesn't leave much time for anything else in your life.

Teamwork is essential. Build that culture in the store or else you'll never go green.

2. Overall? Horrendous.

I worked at Target

Pros

15% discount and some decent benefits. Wages slightly above average for this type of work.

Cons

Should have gotten out when they showed us the anti-union video at orientation.

At my location, Target hires too many employees so that most employees get very few hours. The management then proceeds to understaff every department and expects unreasonable amounts of work to be done by a skeleton crew. As a result, there's extraordinarily high turnover. But what does it matter? Just hire some more warm bodies!

The management in my department gave me remarkably little training for a relatively detailed position, rapidly expected me to know how to do everything without asking or being told, and then berated me in an extremely nasty way when that didn't happen.

There's the expectation that you should harass every customer (sorry, "guest") into getting a Target Red Card, when most aren't interested and they're already distrustful of the company after that pesky data breach.

Also, there's a weird cultlike atmosphere. Motivational "huddles" before your shift? Ugh.

I wonder if all of these issues would be ameliorated if Target's employees had a union...nah, couldn't be.

I wouldn't recommend working at this company to anyone who values their sanity and their dignity.

There are newer employer reviews for Target