Target

www.target.com

Great Company With structured training program

Former Employee - Operations Manager
Former Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

company culture, information that is learned and achieved over a short period of time. As well as good compensation and benefits with room for salary negotiation. Company facilities are very tidy and well-kept. Weekly meetings allow you to feel engaged with the business process that is going on. The experience that you receive here is something a lot of people do not encounter at a young age, making this great opportunity to go through.

Cons

Senior Management lack of transparency between employees. Never are seen on the floor, and then provide you with feedback based on hearsay. perception is reality.

Less ego, more visibility.

Other reviews for Target

good job, sometimes exhausting

Pros

great coworkers, nice environment. I loved shopping at target,so was excited to work there. I found that although it was often tiring to do long hours on my feet, I enjoyed being in target and browsing.

Cons

lower pay, management distant. I also found that I was around the products so much that I was spending much of my paycheck at the store- a problem Ive had in many retail jobs where Ive been a fan of the products.

be more involved

Above Par for Retail

Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Seattle, WA

Pros

- Overnight management at City Target is fun, friendly, very focused and seem to care about the individual employees. Each seem to be very capable.
    - Simply do your job and you will have the opportunity to work various positions from unloading to wave to backroom, etc etc etc. which provides a bit of variety.
    - Depending on the workload for the night (smaller truck, no PFresh, etc) offers to leave early or stay to work on special projects will be made.
    - Pay is typical for retail and you receive a bit more for working the graveyard hours.
    - STL occasionally comes in for the overnight which is good to see as many simply stay in their little office. This one seems to genuinely care.
    - Regular food-events for reaching store milestones, etc.
    - Regular community volunteer opportunities; product that qualifies is made available for donation to local food charities ... very cool way for City Target to give back to the community. Keep it up!
    - Nature of the job itself is strenuous which means you get a free work-out each night you work: unload the truck for an awesome 20-30 minute exercise sprint! You can't help but to lose weight and get in shape when working here. This is a definite "pro".
    -Diversity-friendly. LGBT-friendly.
    -Nightly "huddle" to review store operations.
    - Easy time off requests and shift swap abilities.

Cons

- Retail which means standard retail pay though the overnight does not have to come face-to-face with customers.
    - Half the employees must make up for the slack of the other half who either call in or no-show frequently or when present simply do not perform. You're rushing around while others take forever, shuffling their feet without a care in the world. You take 5 minutes to walk a single aisle ... Why do they still have a job?!?
    - Training is extremely non-structured and varies from trainer to trainer. If you want to learn you can but you must specifically request it from the TLs and ETL. If you do your job then you'll be trained. If not, you'll be stuck on the wave. That's a pro though, right?
    - Food events are *extremely* unhealthy. Cakes, pies, doughnuts, salty soups, pizza, etc. It seems to fit the night-employee demographic (very unhealthy eating habits). I've yet to see healthy alternatives offered such as salads, fruits and veggies, etc.
    - You're expected to go straight from unloading the truck or another strenuous receiving function to a post-unload function. If you stop to wipe your brow or grab a needed glass of water even for 1 minute, then you're pushed. The TLs are probably pushed into this behavior.
    - The nightly huddle often feels "kindergarten" in nature. "John Doe helped me open the door! Yay!" - applause. Really??

Store-level Advice:
    - Provide some sort of numeric evaluation reflecting performance for each individual.
    - Greater enforcement of the no-show/call-in policy. Why should some have to make up for those few who routinely just don't do their job?
    - Healthier food options at celebratory events. This would encourage healthier eating habits which in the long run decreases health care costs and increases productivity and performance. How about a salad bar night or in addition to cookies and doughnuts add a fruit and veggie option? I've seen a few vegetarians/koshers/etc sit these out due to the unhealthy nature.
    - Lack of micromanagement is fantastic ... thank you! ... still, there are a few who need to be reviewed as the rest of us routinely take up their slack. Ex: I'll push 4 isles during the wave easily to the 1 of a particular individual due to them simply not giving a "rats a**" (their words). Uniform reviews on a scheduled basis could resolve this concern and eliminate non performing employees thus providing a labor cost savings.
    - I've yet to see advancement/promotion possibilities made available to regular TMs and many of us hold advanced degrees Target could benefit from. Internal postings of job opportunities prior to an external applicant search would provide a way to identify these individuals and could possibly reduce certain onboarding costs associated with new hires.

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!