There are newer employer reviews for Target

Hope you don't have any plans for the future

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

10% employee discount? Free PB&Js in the break room? I guess for the college kids that get recruited straight to ETL positions this is a promising first job out of school... as long as they don't mind being indoctrinated in the methods of stepping on the backs of their working staff.

Cons

They tell me "this is retail" but who benefits from different days every week and different hours every day? You never know your schedule more than 10 days in advance so you can't make any plans for your life outside of work. All of this for what pays barely over minimum wage and your hours can get cut to almost nothing without notice. Talked to a guy today that was only scheduled for 7 hrs this week!! Ouch!! Virtually no room for advancement. Know people with the company 6,7,8 yrs who have taken their one step up the ladder and that's as far as they will go because of Target's college degree prerequisite to ETL.

Advice to Management

Treat people with a little more respect. How about acting like your "team" members are at least as important as you pretend your "guests" are to you.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

Expect "recognition" and "appreciation," instead of compensation.

Former Employee - Instocks Team Member
    Former Employee - Instocks Team Member

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

You are encouraged and allowed to take on as much responsibility and cross-training as you can stomach. Benefits are great, but getting worse (for full-time employees): up to 5% 401k matching, pension (if hired before 1/1/2009), health care plans (see Cons). Decent culture, fun work environment.

Cons

No room for promotion unless you have a Bachelor's or better degree. No bonuses for team members, and hourly pay rates are capped. You will never meet the District TL's expectations. Store goal is now 2% redcards, nope 3%, nope 4%! Guests on our survey are expected to be 70% "amazed," haha just kidding, now it's 80%. Health care plans that have become steadily worse to practically worthless (high deductible HSA) in the last couple of years.

I used to once love target now I'm looking for a way out.

Current Employee - Target Team Member in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Target Team Member in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping people out then Target is the job for you. A very clean and friendly environment to work at. They have benefits and many volunteer events. I would recommend Target for students looking for a part-time job only. You can take time off, but you must request it before they create the schedule. This is not all Targets but most of them are have their good and bad, so you have to ask and look into it before applying.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company and not a great place to work if you have a family. The pay and raises is not worth it for all the work you have to do in a retail store. I have seen people work here for years and they give new postions to the new people. They cut hours and you cant get overtime.