There are newer employer reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader in Guest Service

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training for Executives, Flexible work schedule including nights and weekends, good at recruiting college grads, Corporate Structure.

Cons

Limited Opportunities to Advance, Low pay raise to hourly employees, cutting hours from the team members to adjust for lack of sales.

Advice to Management

None

reviews filtered by
  1. Avoid flow team

I have been working at Target

Pros

Decent pay working overnight. There are some awesome co-workers but a ton of tools, this especially includes management. The store is nice at least.

Cons

Looked down upon by all other parts of the store. The 'store culture' is a complete joke. You are by far the hardest working people in the store, but the least appreciated. Managers are some of the most fake people I've ever met.

Advice to Management

Value your hard working employees!

2. Overall, an ok company to work for if you are just starting out, or need extra income.

Former Employee - Protection Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Protection Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good starting point for anyone that wants experience in Security/loss prevention. Uniforms, equipment, and training is provided. 20% employee discount if you get a Target Red debit card (15% without Red Debit Card). As a Protection Specialist (TPS), you never work on the register, you do not have to contribute to sales like everyone else. You are under very little supervision. Most stores close by 10pm-11pm. At my store I would leave 30 minutes before closing, and came in around 10am-12am. You will patrol the sale floor, employee areas, and parking lots. It worked well with school. Occasionally you will interact with law enforcement, which is a great way to develop contacts for a future career in Law Enforcement. You will write at least 1-3 reports per shift,, and they must be submitted within 24-48 hours from the incident. Occasionally you might report a case that will be brought to court, be prepared, and hope that you wrote a strong, clear, and factual report. If you are interested in working in law enforcement, than this jobs would be a good starting point for someone who is 18-21 years old. In my time as a TPS, I had three co-workers get hired on at local PD's.

Cons

As a TPS you are expected to focus largely on customer service. I spent the majority of my time standing post at the main entrance of the store greeting guests and handing out shopping carts. I was also expected to keep the front of the store clean by vacuuming and picking up trash. Unfortunately, this strong focus on customer service prevented me and other TPS's from focusing on preventing and investigating theft. Because of this, our work greatly suffered, which drew unwanted attention from our ETL and district manager. This was frustrating because it was our ETL the prevented us from doing our job. Our ETL was a micromanager in the strictest sense. Regular duties performed by TPS were usually done by her. We essentially became over glorified door greeters. I at the time had over 4 years experience in private security, and my partner had been with target for over 4 years, and was a Marine with 4 years of active-duty service. Both of us were overlooked for any and all promotions. Most of your time is spent standing post at the front and watching customers, and occasionally monitoring CCTV. The job can be exciting at times, especially when you catch someone concealing merchandise or ripping an item off of a locking peg hook. The job can also be dangerous as well. You wear a police style uniform, complete with a badge, boots, and an equipment belt. Many time both good and bad people occasionally thought I was a police officer, which would create certain problems.

Advice to Management

Management needs a better understanding of how TPS should be utilized. While customer service is important in this position, it needs to be properly balanced with the loss prevention responsibility in order for us to be successful.

There are newer employer reviews for Target