Work Hard, Get Rewarded-Not for slackers

Former Employee - Team Lead Level III
Former Employee - Team Lead Level III

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hard work can really be worth it. Just keep a positive attitude. They care about training. If you want to move up with the company, you can do so. The benefits were great.

Cons

caution: your store experience will likely be different based on your location
the store manager and how he/she leads truly makes a difference, as well as your District Manager
expect payroll cuts, so you will work hard
this is the norm in any retail environment these days

Advice to Management

Get some of your senior executives to work in a store, especially on a Sunday morning.
Sometimes you shoot yourself in the foot by cutting payroll too much. If you had more salesfloor team members, they could assist guests more and increase sales. If not, the endcaps at every store could be full and your instocks levels always top notch. That alone would increase sales and pay for itself.
Also the AP Executive needs to be focused on just Assets Protection in order to keep your shrink low.
Continue to learn the food business. There is too much revenue lost there as well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrilble n unfair Treatment of Employees.

I have been working at Target

Pros

There is nothing good about working for target. Other than the free snacks, every once in a while

Cons

Management, schedule, Pay, guests, Messy and unorganized.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are educated and know what they are doing. It is not only about the Customers. Employees deserve respect as well. Full time employees with open availability get only 15 hours a week to work. Guest are constantly yelling at employees and calling them racial slurs. Management apologizes to guests and gives them apology coupons. Team members have to do not only there jobs but the TL and ETL's job as well. The pay is an insult for all the work that us required. Target neefs to do a lot better.

An experience to develop basic understanding of sales and customer service.

Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Target offers extremely flexible scheduling for all hourly team members. As long as the team member gives a reasonable time off requests or work availability changes, Target will most likely approve and/or work with the team member to find a schedule that mutually benefits both parties.

Every team member gets 10% off nearly everything in the store.

If you're a hard worker, you show up for work, and ask to be cross trained, Target will LOVE you. I started as a cart attendant when I was 18 and I slowly bounced around the store and learned just about every work center. If you want more hours and to move up in this company, you need to show flexibility and a strong work ethic.

Cons

The pay for hourly team members is not the greatest. One of Target's slogans is "Expect More, Pay Less" and it can be applied to it's team members. Be prepared to do more work than you're being paid. I've accepted it as a way of life for any position.

Another con is the hours. You can go form 25 hours on week to 40 the next and then back down to 15 hours. It's all based on customer traffic. If it's busy, you'll be working a lot, if not, well, too bad.

Also, be prepared for the REDcards (the Target debit/credit card). If you're a cashier, you have to ask every guest if they want to sign up for a REDcard to save 5% off every time they shop.

Finally, be prepared to be yelled at or treated rudely by a customer. If I were you, I would not take it personally. They're just yelling at you because of the name tag and your uniform.

Advice to Management

I expect management to listen to team members and act on a case by case basis. Not all team members are the same, so treat them like an individual.