Target

There are newer employer reviews for Target

My time with target

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is definitely heavily enforced, just like any other corporations. As a former ETL (Executive Team Lead) the benefits were amazing. Target definitely will take care of you health wise. They are big in work life balance, but it is geared towards employees rather than manager. Definitely a lot of fun activities being promoted by the district, a lot of freebies, and they have a very strong open door policy.

Cons

ridiculous amount of work that corporate sends out to get done in a week. Half of the time we don't even have enough payroll to give out and we have so much work to do. As a manager, there is no work life balance. I worked about 60 hours a week to get stuff done because I don't have enough people. It was hard to hire people because lack of applicants for positions. Not to mention the customer is always right was ridiculous. Why bother having policies and hiring lawyers to write out your legal policies if they don't even go through with it. Also, they are heavy on employees happiness. The only bad thing is these employees have been held in a pedestal. One call to HR and they get away with everything. Definitely not a company to work for if you are strict, actually hold your employees accountable and not just some definition written on the wall, and if you are a stickler to rules, this company is not for you.

To district management, listen to your managers for once. It is impossible to have the store look like golden when hours have to get cut, because payroll is affected by sales which by the way is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I pity you guys for slaving away for corporate and have no life whats so ever. For once, walk the talk, and do what you preach.

9656 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Corporate employee less than impressed

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Easy to related to what Target sells and how great some of the prices and deals are
    -Living in MN, this is one of the most prominent companies

Cons

-very slow to react to change
    -spend a lot of time in meetings or "statuses" talking about work
    -there is room to move, but with belts tightening right now, there is no room to advance
    -company doesn't really know who they are right now

Instead of just talking about change, make it happen.
    and find out who you are. are you a cheap retailer, a differentiatior, a multi-channel company? Target doesn't excel at any of these things.
    look at carrying more national brands, and less "own-brands". no one comes there to buy merona clothes.
    and lastly, get aggressive. buy up some people who do exciting things

none

I have been working at Target

Pros

pay is competitive, match 401k up to 5%

Cons

not many opportunities for personal growth

There are newer employer reviews for Target