Target

Young, fun people

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

It was an enjoyable work environment with lots of young people (recent college or MBA grads). The location of the HQ is also in the prime place in Minneapolis.

Cons

The company does like to develop people. This creates some problems though. Lots of the leaders in the company began their careers working in a store and were promoted for their leadership. While this is good, it also creates a lot of high level managers without much business expertise outside of Target. As a result, too much decision making is done off of intuition than off of data (an asset that Target has much of but uses little).

I think the economic crisis was the best thing that could have happened to Target. Prior to it, I had the impression that people felt they could behave any way they want and spend any of Target's money because the company was growing. I was surprised how long Target let their SGA expense grow faster than sales. Fortunately the crisis forced a cultural shift. Not only are people spending less money (I still think it is excessive), but people are willing to realize that Target isn't perfect. I was always surprised how willing people were to bash Walmart, especially during the 20 some month streak of beating Walmart in comp sales. On just about every metric, Walmart is far superior to Target. In other words, I still see a lot of hubris at Target.

9006 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

GSTL

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Target

Pros

Fun people to work with; professional but laid back atmosphere and team-oriented environment. There are a lot of opportunities to make friends and gain leadership experience.

Cons

Because it is a retail environment, the hours are somewhat random and you will never work a 9-5 or have weekends off.

Executive Team Leaders are given strategies to lead an effective and efficient team. This would be a great place to begin a career in retail because managers encourage and build employees skills.

terrible place to work

Current Employee - Flow Team Member, Electronics in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member, Electronics in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Target

Pros

management is not always competent, but friendly. when all links in the chain are strong, target can run well, and can be a decent place to work for a highschooler looking for some part time work.

Cons

hours are terrible. flow team members come in at 4 am and expected to finish a shift in 4 hours. who wants to work that shift? no one. this leads to team member frequently calling in and the ones who do show arent happy to be there. 12 hours a week wont make anyone happy. management is lazy and instead of doing anything tasks are delegated to employees who already have a hard time meeting their own job requirements. meanwhile you will frequently find managament huddled together talking about non work related topics for hours.

targets strict timelines dont allow for any weak links in the chain. any weak links cause a downward spiral of cutting hours. management cares very little about what is going on, so weak links pop up often, and nothing will be done about it, other than complaining that timelines are not being met.

There are newer employer reviews for Target