Target

Young, fun people

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

It was an enjoyable work environment with lots of young people (recent college or MBA grads). The location of the HQ is also in the prime place in Minneapolis.

Cons

The company does like to develop people. This creates some problems though. Lots of the leaders in the company began their careers working in a store and were promoted for their leadership. While this is good, it also creates a lot of high level managers without much business expertise outside of Target. As a result, too much decision making is done off of intuition than off of data (an asset that Target has much of but uses little).

I think the economic crisis was the best thing that could have happened to Target. Prior to it, I had the impression that people felt they could behave any way they want and spend any of Target's money because the company was growing. I was surprised how long Target let their SGA expense grow faster than sales. Fortunately the crisis forced a cultural shift. Not only are people spending less money (I still think it is excessive), but people are willing to realize that Target isn't perfect. I was always surprised how willing people were to bash Walmart, especially during the 20 some month streak of beating Walmart in comp sales. On just about every metric, Walmart is far superior to Target. In other words, I still see a lot of hubris at Target.

9698 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

GSTL

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Target

Pros

Fun people to work with; professional but laid back atmosphere and team-oriented environment. There are a lot of opportunities to make friends and gain leadership experience.

Cons

Because it is a retail environment, the hours are somewhat random and you will never work a 9-5 or have weekends off.

Executive Team Leaders are given strategies to lead an effective and efficient team. This would be a great place to begin a career in retail because managers encourage and build employees skills.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Target

Pros

Supports you to develop into a better employee/advance in your career
    A challenging place to work
    Mostly great people to work with

Cons

Can sometimes be stressful due to the amount of workload. You are challenged as a leader and frequently have prioritize. Upper management will then challenge you to work on they want.

Overall a great place to work and I will continue to work here. It's is a fun place to work that keeps me motivated and you're always recognized for a job well done. Only negative issue I can see is the amount of workload for team leaders and above.

There are newer employer reviews for Target