Young, fun people

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

It was an enjoyable work environment with lots of young people (recent college or MBA grads). The location of the HQ is also in the prime place in Minneapolis.

Cons

The company does like to develop people. This creates some problems though. Lots of the leaders in the company began their careers working in a store and were promoted for their leadership. While this is good, it also creates a lot of high level managers without much business expertise outside of Target. As a result, too much decision making is done off of intuition than off of data (an asset that Target has much of but uses little).

Advice to Management

I think the economic crisis was the best thing that could have happened to Target. Prior to it, I had the impression that people felt they could behave any way they want and spend any of Target's money because the company was growing. I was surprised how long Target let their SGA expense grow faster than sales. Fortunately the crisis forced a cultural shift. Not only are people spending less money (I still think it is excessive), but people are willing to realize that Target isn't perfect. I was always surprised how willing people were to bash Walmart, especially during the 20 some month streak of beating Walmart in comp sales. On just about every metric, Walmart is far superior to Target. In other words, I still see a lot of hubris at Target.

Other Employee Reviews for Target