A happy place!

I worked at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The motto for Team Members is "Fast, Fun, and Friendly". I found the culture to be exactly that. I worked ther for 7 years and found pay to be fair for the work performed. Flexible and fair scheduling. They also understand that your job is not your whole life.

Cons

Advancement oppurtunities were not openly communicated. They seem to keep you where they want you, and promote those they want to promote. Unfortunately I seemed unable to transform my time at Target from part time cashier into a real full time career.

Advice to Management

Post advancement oppurtunities in TSC (Team Service Center, aka breakroom), or post where and how internal oppurtunities can be pursued.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. The Target Culture and Work Ethic Stand Apart from Other Retail Companies

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in San Jose, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my opinion, Target attracts a lot of friendly workers; people with a lot of potential to succeed. Also, the discount on merchandise, and some organized functions outside of work that included volunteer activity: these were a plus for this employer.

Cons

Company made clear that this is the kind of job operates by the "You get what you put into it" motto. However, this eventually seemed to prove to be based upon subjectivity and other factors. Initially, the company had a lot to offer; the company misleadingly offered full-time work at the time of hire, then gave only part-time work: not sure of how the company makes its decisions to allocate work hours or duties.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, the style of management at Target seemed sincere. However, there is lots of room for improvement, such as in delegating responsibility.

2. Great first job!

Former Employee - Cashier in Pico Rivera, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pico Rivera, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made so many friends working at target. Everyone is friendly and it really felt like a team, and for it being my first job I gained some great experience! Everything is structured well, and it keeps the work day running smoothly.

Cons

There's so many policies you need to be aware of, especially as a cashier/guest service. It's easy to make a mistake and unfortunately that is what happened to me and I was let go. :( Also your hours shifted every week, going from high to low for any known reason.

Advice to Management

Educate your employees better on the store policies!