Target

www.target.com
  www.target.com
There are newer employer reviews for Target

Abusive employer, EXPECT MORE PAY LESS applies to employees too.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member, Fitting Room Operator in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible with hours, I am required to write at least 5 words in this section and I couldn't

Cons

You are not treated like a living breathing human being. You are expected to do a monotonous, robotic job repeatedly. Retail jobs are all horrible places to work, but Target was very bad. They pay only minimum wage but expect you to know multiple job roles and do them without recognition or compensation. Many of the target stores are very large and you spend a lot of time trying to keep up with walking all over the store to do your job when you could be paid the same to work at a much smaller store and not have to run all over the place. There is not really any room to move up, you can move up one position but any higher requires a bachelors degree. Yes I said a BACHELORS degree to be a manager at Target. Seasonal times are the worst times of my life that I can remember working at anywhere. In the slow months you may only get one shift per week and it's most likely 4 hours only and you're lucky if you don't get sent home early. They base the hours they can schedule their employees off of the sales of the store as if a salesfloor rep can push sales and improve that situation. On the other hand the busiest holiday times are major hell. If you close the store you will be there until 3 AM every single night to fix the holiday shopping wreckage, even if you started your shift at say 1 PM. I can recall many times almost crying from exhaustion and not being sure that it was safe for me to drive home from it as well. It is Target's policy that you must take a 30 min break every 6 hours. I can recall numerous times where I would be forced to take a second 30 min break at 1 or 2 AM in order to allow us to stay even later and finish cleaning up the store. You are also not allowed to have less than an 8 hour block in between shifts and this was cut down right to the minute. If I closed the store one night and had to stay late but was scheduled to be in the next morning it was at exactly 8 hours from when I clocked out. Let's say I left the store at 2:23 AM, I was expected back at exactly 10:23 and was only allowed to be late on my scheduled shift if I had been there late the night before. In a bigger city travel times home and getting up and getting ready for work can cut your actual sleep time down by a lot, maybe 5 hours? That scenario also lets you in on how the scheduling goes. You NEVER have a set schedule. You submit a sheet of times when you are available to work and they "try their best" to schedule you within those times. If you don't have a large enough availability then you basically need to get another job because they just wont give you hours. The management at the store I worked at was just plain horrible and played favoritism games. You are required to have availability on at least one weekend day but some co-workers got out of it by being friends with management. Basically a job at Target is aimed at college students who will work because they have to and want something part-time.

You need to get your hands dirty. Not helping your employees when you constantly encourage everyone to work as a team is just stupid and insulting. Target as a corporation should take some hints from Wal-Mart and pay their employees better. Every Target is a huge store and requiring your employees to be flexible and work multiple areas WILL be very physically tiring and should come with a pay increase. Just being cross-trained should come with a pay raise. Your policies for breaks and time between shifts are a good start but there is no human understanding. People need sleep to be healthy and that allows them to perform their job better. You should also work with employees to create shifts that they can work so they have a pattern instead of scheduling them whenever you want and you might not need a rule about 8 hours in between shifts. Figure out a better way to treat your employees for the seasonal times. Having them work 14 hours shifts is just plain abusive. You hire seasonal employees so why not hire more and split the shifts with your regular employees. REALIZE you hire HUMAN BEINGS and should treat them as so. Follow your own motto and be Fast Fun and Friendly to YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

9257 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

MISMANAGEMENT - Complete lack of leadership, support and resources available to develop talent

Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Target full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits were decent. 401K was great, dental insurance better than average and health insurance premiums were reasonable.

Cons

The policies are meant to protect team member privacy, but there is total gossip in the HR department. "One bad apple" causes a ripple effect throughout entire store. Nothing is confidential so it is difficult to trust anyone. Asking for support repeatedly because you are not getting it may put a red flag on you. Expectations are very high and very little time is given to meet them.

The Expect More. Pay Less. should really be the public campaign, not the corporate motto for team members. Place more emphasis on the training and do not expect an untrained team member to be able to fulfill all expectations in their role before it is completed. Structure it so that the leadership team cannot force you through a course just to mark it as complete in HR.

if you haven't been promoted by the age of 30 you have better odds of being struck by lightening

Former Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very focused on whats new whats hot.

Cons

(Team leads) aka: department heads continually train the supervisors -who are fresh out of college and have never worked a day in their lives; hourly employees below them which make up, 90 % of the staff are part time and as such have NO benefits. All the power is in the hands of the children fresh out of college.

value your people