There are newer employer reviews for Target

The team members are the greatest!

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team members make the difference in how hard or easy the job is. The motto " speed is life" is no joke, you are practically running from the time you clock in until you clock out.

Cons

The pay is pretty good, but the raises are almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Ask team members if they would like to work in different areas of the store, instead of hiring outside of the company promote from within.

reviews filtered by

Great Company, Poor Higher Management

Former Employee - ETL Hardlines in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - ETL Hardlines in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target offers pretty good benefits for you and your family. The starting pay for a single graduating college students is quite nice. Stores are always kept very clean and neat. Their leadership expectations for ETL's, STL's and so on are well thought out. The Fast, Fun and Friendly attitude is a good standard to work by.

Cons

Absolutely terrible hours, not worth the salary pay. If you have a poor performing team you have to coach (manage) them out and create a new one. Basically if you don't something correctly you will be coached and fired. As an ETL you are expected to do everything while your STL, ETL-HR an ETL-AP sit in their offices and do nothing all day long. Your always having to call people in to cover call-offs. For a new manager coming out of college, Targets six week training program is a joke! Whether someone is successful or not completely depends on whether the store is green or red and also if you have a good STL or not.

Advice to Management

Make pay worth while for over worked ETL's. Please stop stretching people so thin. For one ETL to have to manage 3 or 4 different work centers is rediculous. Stop making payroll so stingy and give stores the hours they need to operate

2. Started out fun and great and has gone down hill over 3 years due to changes in management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coraville, Iowa Target# T1113
    The best and now only reason for me to work at target is for the people you work with hands down. If you're social there's always plenty of people to talk to and keep you entertained as a team member through the workday.

Cons

Coralville, Iowa Target# T1113
    All you ever hear about is "saving 5%" to target the red card is life and nothing is more important then it. In my case I've started to feel that the red card itself has become more important to my management team then the team members their selves. There is very little to no training for new team members when they're put on the sales floor. You're expected to pick up the slack by getting all the calls and trying to answer all the questions because the team leads never follow up with anyone to help them contribute to the floor. Whenever we hit a busy season we've generally been understaffed so we usually work from 3:00 PM until 2-2:30 AM as we have to stay until everything is clean and we're doing the job with 3 people where we should have at least 5-6. Our base pay for team members was $7.50 starting out and has gradually increased to $8.75 over 3 years. The problem with that is that having worked for target for 3 years and getting computerized percent raises once a year the base pay increase soaks up my "raise" and then I get paid the same as someone who started a day ago. There has also been a lot of needless drama through out the store between team members and the management pretty much do nothing at all to fix said issues. The main reason I've put off becoming a team leader at target knowing full well I can do it well is that when you become a team lead you have to drink the 5% "kool-aid" and that pretty much becomes the only subject you can talk about to impress the management. They don't see good work outside of red cards. Having worked for target for 3 years I've done my job well on the sales floor and I consistently do more then is required of me to make up for the untrained team members, but it all goes unnoticed because it doesn't involve the red card. There's many other small things to go about but I'll leave it as is.

Advice to Management

The management NEEDS to recognize employees that do well at their job. They need to show a little concern for the team members who are consistently working 11-12 hour shifts to make up for being understaffed. They also need to know that we don't forget the red card exist over night and it doesn't need to be shoved down everyone's throat 24/7.