There are newer employer reviews for Target

Working at Target was one of the best job experiences I ever had.

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Kalamazoo, MI
Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Target

Pros

Target allows you to own your own training and you are empowered to grow and learn as much as you are willing. I was able to take additional leadership opportunities and was constantly challenged. Work was never boring as long as I challenged myself. The pay and benefits were good. Feedback was constant, not just annually.

Cons

It is rare to be promoted internally to get to an executive position or higher. Most salaried positions are filled externally.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A bunch of fresh out of college senior level management!!!

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Target

Pros

Team Member discount of 10% off on store merchandise. Friendly peers (same level employees) Ability to create relationship with store guests - that recognize you based on their frequency of shopping at the store.

Cons

-Management is hired from career fairs; in which most are 21-22 years of age and have little experience in the retail or management field. -It seems that management focuses more on what you are doing wrong; than what you are doing right. Which means that their recognition program is very weak. -Promotions are very slim. You can work day in and day out; and only be criticized for what wasn't done right. -Management finds employees that are hard working; and brain-wash them into believing that they will be promoted and tell them "This captainship will help with your development; and when it comes time for an interview - you will have great stories during the interview" And once you go to these interviews; they only tell you that your hardwork hasn't yet paid off.

Advice to Management

There is a huge laundry-list of my disappointments of this company and I hope that the CEO and management will listen to their employees based off the "opinion survey" conducted annually and actually implement what their employees are saying.

2. Target is a great place to work if you are willing to devote endless hours working, and kiss up to the DTL and above.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Target

Pros

Pay, Promotions, Development while you are "hot", fast-paced environment, A Leader in Retail keeping ahead of the curve, Great Training

Cons

Target is not a place to work if you have kids and a family- or if you just want work/life balance. It is clear that the people who advance are those that devote endless hours and can change their schedule at a drop of a dime (over and over). The people who work 60 plus hours a week are thought highly of and those that are able to lead teams to be successful in a normal time are expected to work extra hours to help out struggling workcenters (constantly). Also, it is an environment of kissing up and political games. If you want to advance on performance- pick a different employer.

Advice to Management

Take feedback from teams seriously. The STL is not always right. Dig deeper. Take Integrity Hotline calls more seriously. Walk the walk- don't just give advice that you yourself never follow. Promotions should be performance based- not just time commitment.