There are newer employer reviews for Target

Challenging, routine based, great leadership experience, difficult to move up as quickly as they sell you on.

Current Employee - ETL GE  in  San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - ETL GE in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Target

Pros

-Leading large teams of people
-Communication skills go through the roof
-Great on the resume
-Fun and different from the behind the desk job

Cons

-Rough hours
-Working every other weekend
-More difficult to move up than they sell you on
-Poor compensation bonuses at ETL levels

Coming from running the day to day duties of a top 20 store in the company, I would have appreciated better compensation in terms of bonus and ability to move upward. Lots of talk, not much movement. Great talent doesn't last long when you under compensate that great talent.

8307 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Strong company reputation and community involvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

The people are great, the work is fun, and the opportunities are endless.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides. This is a great place to work. Getting/leaving downtown can be a chore if you don't commute by bus or bike and it's during peak rush hour.

Make a deeper investment in hq amenities for employees (similar to a Google or Microsoft). Pilot a "play area" at the stores so that mom can drop off the kids before she spends an hour shopping.

So far so good, but saying the right things goes a long way.

Current Employee - A Good Place to Work At, A Little Brown-nosing Won't Hurt  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - A Good Place to Work At, A Little Brown-nosing Won't Hurt in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target is a very fun place to work, and I love it. The STL, the ETL, LODs, they're all really fun to work with except on occasion you can clearly see that they just want to go home. I work in Electronics and am trying to become a pharmacist, so getting the experience of working on the outside is always a plus. My hours are decent, I average about 22-24 hours a week. My pay is well, it isn't the best but retail jobs hardly pay that well. Benefits are activated once you hit a certain amount of hours at Target. If you average 24 hours, then you are eligible for a simple benefits package.

10% off everything in the store isn't too bad either, but if you want to use a card, they make you sign up for a Red Card, which isn't bad if you use the debit.

Cons

The customers. In retail, the customer is always right, and they're wrong a lot of the times, but then again, you want to be nice to the "guest". Sometimes, supervisors aren't really good at controlling themselves and they can't seem to be able to withhold emotions. All in all, there isn't too much negativity where I work at, but still there is room for improvement.

Don't hire outsiders without looking within. Usually, there is really good talent on the inside. It doesn't necessarily make someone who wants to go up with Target feel good about their own personal opportunities with Target.

There are newer employer reviews for Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!