Tate & Lyle Overview

Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Decatur, IL
Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company now that right-sizing and movement of resources from Decatur to Poland has been completed.

Cons

Decatue is depressing place to work, although cost of living is very very attractive. I would call it a cultural wasteland as the nearest hot spot of intelligencia is 40 miles away in Springfield, Champaign or Bloomington.

Advice to Management

True-up human resource related benefits between the UK and US. There is a strong belief here in the US that UK employees are better compensated and have much better PTO policies and we in the US have to pick up the slack.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

"Easy going" but communication problems in the horizontal structure of the R&D team

Former Contractor - Chemist in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Contractor - Chemist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally easy going as far as taking time off.

Cons

Work is not planned ahead of time I would live with long hours on some days as it is the nature of the business where projects can spring up on a deadline, but the lack of communication was a key issue. The company is in a horizontal leadership structure in that everyone was a 'boss' while under a main boss in the R&D team. I was working with couple of them as my bosses and i would find out later that things behind deadline but they never communicated to their peers as to what they needed help with. I had skills in other areas, but I couldn't be used because there was some sort of rivalry going on between different sub groups.

-The pay was negligible for the work that I did. There was no policy of employee retention and even senior scientists lamented that fact that they trained people who left because there was no room for growth and/or pay in the company. Some of the people even boasted about how they fired so many people like it made them feel special.

Advice to Management

become better communicators and organizers. People magically won't know how they can help you if you don't tell them where iin the project their help would be needed.

Enjoyed working at T&L...most of the time. Love/Hate relationship.

Former Employee - E/I Technician in Loudon, TN
    Former Employee - E/I Technician in Loudon, TN

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady and stable employment. Plenty of overtime. Opportunities for advancement. Gym on premises. Company perks...discount tickets for local attractions, quarterly safety incentives$$, company match 401K, Health/dental/vision/life insurance. Overall a very good place to work!

Cons

Must put the company first and family second! Ridiculous rules, but not really different than any other industrial plant. Awkward shift schedule. Have to deal with some unfriendly, unhappy people. Hot, dirty, sticky, dusty working conditions. Pay is slightly less than other plants in the area.

Advice to Management

Do more than pay lip service to employees about concern for family. Recognize and reward talent. Replace incompetent team management.