Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Inexperienced managers and herd mentality wanted

National Office Staff (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, admirable mission, flexible schedule and location (if you're on the national team, you can work from anywhere in the country)

ConsTeach For America values people who can tow the line, put in 50+ hours of work, and blindly follow management. They say they value diversity of thought and want input, but they only want input and thought from people who blindly follow what Wendy says and what their manager thinks is right. Depending on the team, it can be very political and there is a lot of mistrust within a few of the teams.

If you join, also be wary of your business partners--they say your relationship/communication with them is confidential, but they actually share everything with your manager. I've seen this happen with a number of people on my team. They were recently ranked in Fortune, but many of us were surprised as there's high turnover and overall low morale throughout the org. They have an admirable mission, but need to do something about their inexperienced managers who have only worked for TFA and have very narrow ideas of management. Also, as a whole, the staff are socially awkward (I'm not trying to be snarky...they'll admit it themselves).

Teach for America is dedicated to ending educational inequality.

Teacher (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros: Positive and enthusiastic organization that is working to solve one… Cons: Very demanding and competitive work Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Lots of growth

Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros: *Great personal and professional growth experience *Challenging *Reawarding Cons: NO work/life balance. It also can be very exhausting. More
There are newer reviews on Teach for America.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!