I love working for Teach For America; The mission of this organization is so incredible.

Current Employee - Managing Director, Strategy  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Managing Director, Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

The Mission is incredible
I work with some of the smartest people I know
It as organization that is constantly changing and improving
Really lives by its core values

Cons

Growing very quickly which causes some inefficiencies
Sometimes conscensus based to the point of inaction
Work-life balance can be difficult

Ask for feedback and strive to learn and constantly improve. Live and work by the core values;

Other Reviews for Teach for America

Teach for America is dedicated to ending educational inequality.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Positive and enthusiastic organization that is working to solve one of America's most pressing problems

Cons

Very demanding and competitive work

Inexperienced managers and herd mentality wanted

Former Employee - National Office Staff  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Office Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America

Pros

Good benefits, admirable mission, flexible schedule and location (if you're on the national team, you can work from anywhere in the country)

Cons

Teach For America values people who can tow the line, put in 50+ hours of work, and blindly follow management. They say they value diversity of thought and want input, but they only want input and thought from people who blindly follow what Wendy says and what their manager thinks is right. Depending on the team, it can be very political and there is a lot of mistrust within a few of the teams.

If you join, also be wary of your business partners--they say your relationship/communication with them is confidential, but they actually share everything with your manager. I've seen this happen with a number of people on my team. They were recently ranked in Fortune, but many of us were surprised as there's high turnover and overall low morale throughout the org. They have an admirable mission, but need to do something about their inexperienced managers who have only worked for TFA and have very narrow ideas of management. Also, as a whole, the staff are socially awkward (I'm not trying to be snarky...they'll admit it themselves).

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!