There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

A truly amazing experience if you plan on working in the education sector for the long term.

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-An incredible cohort of recruits from some of the best universities in the country. TFA loves to recruit graduates with previous leadership experience (ie, fraternity/sorority presidents, club presidents) -Almost guaranteed placement into a school with TFA assisting you throughout the process; will give you a leg up on the competition against other prospective teachers -An impressive mission statement -Looks great on a resume -Great professional development (for teaching specifically)

Cons

-Teaching experience will vary depending on content and grade level. If you are placed in social studies, your life will be significantly easier. -TFA invests heavily in some great charter schools. This does not align with its mission statement--some members will be sent to the worst schools in the country, others will be placed in a top 100 school (based on usnews rankings) -Overstates its exit options. TFA will try to convince you to stay as a teacher after the two-year commitment, and most will succumb to this due to lack of alternatives or financial reasons.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I love working for Teach For America; The mission of this organization is so incredible.

Current Employee - Managing Director, Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director, Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

The Mission is incredible I work with some of the smartest people I know It as organization that is constantly changing and improving Really lives by its core values

Cons

Growing very quickly which causes some inefficiencies Sometimes conscensus based to the point of inaction Work-life balance can be difficult

Advice to Management

Ask for feedback and strive to learn and constantly improve. Live and work by the core values;

2. I had an awful experience teaching summer school during Institute

Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TFA has great benefits They gave us generous funding and accommodations

Cons

Teach For America expects college graduates with no prior teaching experience to create their own worksheets and lesson plans. I was thrown into a classroom without any books a week after arriving at the summer institute. The material I managed to create was not nearly as good as peer-reviewed curriculum that I had been given as a child. Furthermore, my class had non-English speakers, special needs students, and bright students who acted out behaviorally all combined in one class. I realize TFA is trying to work within the system to create change, but I almost had a mental break down from the stress and excessive workload that summer.