A Big Corporation, but Still a Great Opportunity

Pros

The students! They were a pain sometimes (everyday), but when all the bureaucratic crap from TFA started to pile up, knowing I was actually teaching my kids something made life just a little better.

Cons

TFA does some good things. They did teach us some excellent teaching techniques, but at least in my region, they are not very transparent about certain less than favorable aspects from the get-go, such as the fact that even with our $11,000 educational stipend, all of us were still in debt after we were required to get our master's in education in addition to teaching.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

Upper Management is out of touch

Pros

Flexible hours, with good benefits,

Cons

Poor leadership and support from upper management. Decisions are made from the top down with no or little understanding of job functions or the value provided by staff employees. If your not in the click, you won't make it.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, TFA is not a county club.

It was okay

Former Employee - Assistant
    Former Employee - Assistant

Pros

- working towards a greater mission gives you something you can be proud of - intelligent and supportive colleagues - great time off and the ability to work from home - frequent travel - if you like that kind of thing

Cons

-very top heavy decisions and bottom heavy labor. you are expected to manage up to your manager, even in situations where it makes no sense for you to bear all of the responsibility. - if you do not like to travel, having to travel can be burdensome - people can be spoiled and entitled which can lead to a lot of stress if you are on the logistical end of stuff ..ie there was not enough diet coke at an event.

Advice to Management

- keep in tune with the employees who are bearing the brunt of a lot of the work, make sure that their voices have a place at the table as well.