Incredible.

Current Intern - Operations Coordinator in Cleveland, MS
Current Intern - Operations Coordinator in Cleveland, MS

I have been working at Teach for America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the staff is very uplifting and relational. Makes it all worth it! Institute is an event that challenges you, but builds your knowledge, skills, abilities, as well as relationships. It is a once in a life time opportunity to see a behind the scenes aspect of Teach for America working toward their mission.

Cons

You will likely be working long hours in order to reach goals; however, TFA emphasizes only working in working hours as they stress balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

A truly amazing experience if you plan on working in the education sector for the long term.

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-An incredible cohort of recruits from some of the best universities in the country. TFA loves to recruit graduates with previous leadership experience (ie, fraternity/sorority presidents, club presidents) -Almost guaranteed placement into a school with TFA assisting you throughout the process; will give you a leg up on the competition against other prospective teachers -An impressive mission statement -Looks great on a resume -Great professional development (for teaching specifically)

Cons

-Teaching experience will vary depending on content and grade level. If you are placed in social studies, your life will be significantly easier. -TFA invests heavily in some great charter schools. This does not align with its mission statement--some members will be sent to the worst schools in the country, others will be placed in a top 100 school (based on usnews rankings) -Overstates its exit options. TFA will try to convince you to stay as a teacher after the two-year commitment, and most will succumb to this due to lack of alternatives or financial reasons.

2. I had an awful experience teaching summer school during Institute

Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TFA has great benefits They gave us generous funding and accommodations

Cons

Teach For America expects college graduates with no prior teaching experience to create their own worksheets and lesson plans. I was thrown into a classroom without any books a week after arriving at the summer institute. The material I managed to create was not nearly as good as peer-reviewed curriculum that I had been given as a child. Furthermore, my class had non-English speakers, special needs students, and bright students who acted out behaviorally all combined in one class. I realize TFA is trying to work within the system to create change, but I almost had a mental break down from the stress and excessive workload that summer.