There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

A close knitt team of hardworking people trying to make a difference in education.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Grant Liaison in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - AmeriCorps Grant Liaison in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Teach for America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High amount of flexibility. Lots of resources. Capable staff.

Cons

Some disorganization. Aspects of cliques were visible if somewhat nuanced.

reviews filtered by
  1. Character building position

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Developed organizational & management skills.

Cons

A very time demanding role, but worth the results.

Glassdoor needs to differentiate between those who worked for TFA and those who were placed in a job by TFA

Former Employee - Manager, Teacher Leadership Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager, Teacher Leadership Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teach For America has a strong culture and is one of the most highly visible education reform organizations in the nation. Teach For America gets those who likely would not have entered the classroom to experiment as teachers.

Cons

I was a bit surprised at the high average Teach For America has on Glass Door until I read that most of the reviews were written by corps members. I feel this would be a bit more accurate as public school or charters employee corps members and Teach For America serves as a talent placement service. I write my review as a former full-time staff member with Teach For America. I would encourage anyone planning to take a full-time role with Teach For America to consider the following questions:

* What are your long term goals? Do you feel as though the person you would report to has the skillset to successfully coach/develop you in the areas you are weak in to make those goals a reality? What evidence do you have that this person has excelled in a performance based culture?
    * Research comparable salaries from organizations like Stand for Children, New Leaders for New Schools, The New Teacher Project, Broad, Education Pioneers, KIPP, YES, IDEA, ASPIRE, Noble Street, Rocketship, State Departments of Education and School Districts. Teach For America believes their name brand affords them the right to under pay. Be willing to accept this or be prepared to have the conversation ahead of time.
    * Are you comfortable working in a culture that does not prioritize performance?
    * Ask what the priority for the team is - is it to make strong teachers for the students that corps members serve or is it to create leaders for the long term? While I agree this in part can be be done simultaneously - one can also argue an empowered leader is one that experiences first hand the "transformational change" possible when teacher and students are aligned in mission and focus, thus getting results.

Teach For America focuses heavily on building a movement of leaders at the expense of low-income students. I say this because Teach For America invests heavily in attempting to retain low performing corps members because Teach For America says there is no actual bar for determining a successful teacher from a non-successful teacher. Teach For America says that all corps members have the potential to be leaders and if we were to release these corps members, what would they say about their children? I ask, what would they say if they finish two years and because of their experience do not believe all children can learn? Then they have the stamp of approval that they are a Teach For America alumni. Please reevaluate the tactics you pursue attempting to close the achievement gap, because retaining poor teachers is unfair to the communities you serve.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America