Extremely satisfied Corps Member

Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great professional development and support. I was also very happy with my school placement. Teach For America is nationally recognized so it has been pretty easy to find a job after being a Corps Member. I love the mission of TFA and the values they bring. This was very personally satisfying.

Cons

Saturday professional developments are annoying to go to. Some of my friends got placed in extremely difficult schools. Over two years I taught many different subjects and had some bad experiences with administration at my school.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Organization, Great about Diversity, Be ready to work hard.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time

Pros

The people are really smart, and really dedicated to the mission. You will get really superior data skills and a great name to have on a resume. Outstanding commitment and respect for diversity. Incredible health benefits.

Cons

Very difficult with work life balance, talk about putting emphasis on it, but don't really allow for anyone to have it. Transiency in staff.

Advice to Management

Work on making lifestyle more sustainable so that staff lasts longer.

2. TFA

Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Richmond, CA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teach For America is an amazing, eye-opening experience. You will meet amazing people and contribute to society in a meaningful, rewarding way.

Cons

The TFA experience is very intense and not everyone can handle it. Working with high school students is particularly difficult for young straight out of college. Understanding the difficulties and trauma in the community is very important. There is a strong possibility of transference and counter-transference of trauma and post-traumatic stress. This is not an experience to undertake lightly and frankly, working education in this capacity is simple not sustainable.

Advice to Management

Understand that your corps members are often in very difficult situations. Try to recognize when they may need support not only with achieving significant gains, but also mentally, psychologically, and emotionally.