There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Extremely satisfied Corps Member

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great professional development and support. I was also very happy with my school placement. Teach For America is nationally recognized so it has been pretty easy to find a job after being a Corps Member. I love the mission of TFA and the values they bring. This was very personally satisfying.

Cons

Saturday professional developments are annoying to go to. Some of my friends got placed in extremely difficult schools. Over two years I taught many different subjects and had some bad experiences with administration at my school.

376 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Great Organization, Great about Diversity, Be ready to work hard.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time

Pros

The people are really smart, and really dedicated to the mission.
    You will get really superior data skills and a great name to have on a resume.
    Outstanding commitment and respect for diversity.
    Incredible health benefits.

Cons

Very difficult with work life balance, talk about putting emphasis on it, but don't really allow for anyone to have it.
    Transiency in staff.

Work on making lifestyle more sustainable so that staff lasts longer.

Glassdoor needs to differentiate between those who worked for TFA and those who were placed in a job by TFA

Former Employee - Manager, Teacher Leadership Development  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager, Teacher Leadership Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teach For America has a strong culture and is one of the most highly visible education reform organizations in the nation. Teach For America gets those who likely would not have entered the classroom to experiment as teachers.

Cons

I was a bit surprised at the high average Teach For America has on Glass Door until I read that most of the reviews were written by corps members. I feel this would be a bit more accurate as public school or charters employee corps members and Teach For America serves as a talent placement service. I write my review as a former full-time staff member with Teach For America. I would encourage anyone planning to take a full-time role with Teach For America to consider the following questions:

* What are your long term goals? Do you feel as though the person you would report to has the skillset to successfully coach/develop you in the areas you are weak in to make those goals a reality? What evidence do you have that this person has excelled in a performance based culture?
    * Research comparable salaries from organizations like Stand for Children, New Leaders for New Schools, The New Teacher Project, Broad, Education Pioneers, KIPP, YES, IDEA, ASPIRE, Noble Street, Rocketship, State Departments of Education and School Districts. Teach For America believes their name brand affords them the right to under pay. Be willing to accept this or be prepared to have the conversation ahead of time.
    * Are you comfortable working in a culture that does not prioritize performance?
    * Ask what the priority for the team is - is it to make strong teachers for the students that corps members serve or is it to create leaders for the long term? While I agree this in part can be be done simultaneously - one can also argue an empowered leader is one that experiences first hand the "transformational change" possible when teacher and students are aligned in mission and focus, thus getting results.

Teach For America focuses heavily on building a movement of leaders at the expense of low-income students. I say this because Teach For America invests heavily in attempting to retain low performing corps members because Teach For America says there is no actual bar for determining a successful teacher from a non-successful teacher. Teach For America says that all corps members have the potential to be leaders and if we were to release these corps members, what would they say about their children? I ask, what would they say if they finish two years and because of their experience do not believe all children can learn? Then they have the stamp of approval that they are a Teach For America alumni. Please reevaluate the tactics you pursue attempting to close the achievement gap, because retaining poor teachers is unfair to the communities you serve.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!