Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Wonderful, wonderful people stretched too thin

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New City, NY
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New City, NY

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor

Pros

I worked as a seasonal phone a thon caller and was paid pretty well for the position! The interview process was a breeze; they got back to me right away when I submitted my resume and then an interview was set up very quickly, didn't take long to process my HR paperwork. They trained us well and made sure we had what we needed. I worked with two supervisors there and they were both fantastic motivators who were ever present and ready to answer any questions.

Cons

The HR system they use is ridiculous. I think this was mostly due to the fact that I was seasonal, but the process for getting into the system requires way too many steps. The lists that we used were also not updated from night to night and quite often contained incorrect information.

Since the phone a thon seems like a pretty important part of the fundraising effort that TFA does, it should get more attention. There should be a separate/simpler process for callers. Maybe in addition to the callers, they could also hire a seasonal database person whose main job is to work with the lists and updates for the phone a thon callers.

465 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Great Organization

Current Intern - Campus Campaign Coordinator
    Current Intern - Campus Campaign Coordinator

I have been working at Teach for America as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Working with people passionate about closing the achievement gap. very open minded, and socially conscious.

Cons

The organization is extremely data/statistics driven. When it comes to applications deadlines, the recruitment team leaders have no problem pushing recruitment staff to the brink of exhaustion, just to produce better numbers.

Teach For America

Former Employee - 2010 Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - 2010 Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teach For America is a very worthwhile cause/calling/organization. The corps members are bright and positive and eager to make an impact in the communities where they teach.

Cons

There is a grueling induction process, sort of boot camp for teachers. Many consecutive nights with about 4 hours of sleep.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America