Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Wonderful, wonderful people stretched too thin

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New City, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New City, NY

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor

Pros

I worked as a seasonal phone a thon caller and was paid pretty well for the position! The interview process was a breeze; they got back to me right away when I submitted my resume and then an interview was set up very quickly, didn't take long to process my HR paperwork. They trained us well and made sure we had what we needed. I worked with two supervisors there and they were both fantastic motivators who were ever present and ready to answer any questions.

Cons

The HR system they use is ridiculous. I think this was mostly due to the fact that I was seasonal, but the process for getting into the system requires way too many steps. The lists that we used were also not updated from night to night and quite often contained incorrect information.

Since the phone a thon seems like a pretty important part of the fundraising effort that TFA does, it should get more attention. There should be a separate/simpler process for callers. Maybe in addition to the callers, they could also hire a seasonal database person whose main job is to work with the lists and updates for the phone a thon callers.

437 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Teach For America

Former Employee - 2010 Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - 2010 Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teach For America is a very worthwhile cause/calling/organization. The corps members are bright and positive and eager to make an impact in the communities where they teach.

Cons

There is a grueling induction process, sort of boot camp for teachers. Many consecutive nights with about 4 hours of sleep.

Memphis TFA alum

Former Employee - 7th Grade Math Teacher in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - 7th Grade Math Teacher in Memphis, TN

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will be a Jedi warrior if you survive this program. It is incredibly rewarding, and your growth is directly proportional to the immense challenges you will face.

Cons

My experience, as well as every other Memphis corps member I've every spoken to, will attest to the difficulty of this job. Imagine trying to complete a crucial task at a desk while all your papers are attempting to fly away and your office supplies are brawling on the floor. That neatly sums up the tfa memphis experience, but the sweetness of success is all the better for those challenges.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America