There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Went in blind. If you see yourself in education, please go the traditional route!!!

Former Employee - Corps Member in Baton Rouge, LA
Former Employee - Corps Member in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

~The cause is amazing.

~The passion and enthusiasm that staff and corps members have is so great that it makes you want to vomit sometimes.

~The support, though sometimes annoying and over the top, is generally helpful if you're willing to take it and have the time to listen to it.

~Great stepping stone for educational leadership, policy, etc.

Cons

~For 2 years TFA practically owns your life. The possibility of being very good at your job and keeping a social life (and sanity) are very unlikely.

~All corps, meetings, check ins, phone calls, text messages, pop-ins, observations = No normal day. Every single day is surrounded by TFA no matter how hard you try to just relax

~The "rigorous" training, known as institute, prepares you for next to nothing but how to not sound like a racist or degrade your students for being low-income.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great experience if you are the right person

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement/ networking
    Good life Experience
    Potential to be placed in great schools

Cons

Potential to be placed in terrible schools and out of preferred content areas
    Type A everyone everywhere
    Lack of diversity
    Some gateway to Business school types

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on growth. Build solid communities instead.

2. Wonderful, wonderful people stretched too thin

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New City, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New City, NY

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor

Pros

I worked as a seasonal phone a thon caller and was paid pretty well for the position! The interview process was a breeze; they got back to me right away when I submitted my resume and then an interview was set up very quickly, didn't take long to process my HR paperwork. They trained us well and made sure we had what we needed. I worked with two supervisors there and they were both fantastic motivators who were ever present and ready to answer any questions.

Cons

The HR system they use is ridiculous. I think this was mostly due to the fact that I was seasonal, but the process for getting into the system requires way too many steps. The lists that we used were also not updated from night to night and quite often contained incorrect information.

Advice to Management

Since the phone a thon seems like a pretty important part of the fundraising effort that TFA does, it should get more attention. There should be a separate/simpler process for callers. Maybe in addition to the callers, they could also hire a seasonal database person whose main job is to work with the lists and updates for the phone a thon callers.