There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding!

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member  in  Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Directly impacting the lives of others... measurable success in closing the achievement gap...Teaches leadership skills, teamwork, and other skills applicable in EVERY type of job.

Cons

Experiences differ greatly based on placement schools and regions. Do some research and learn about which region is best for you. TFA is VERY data driven, so sometimes things can seem ONLY quantitative... Be prepared for A LOT of paperwork, surveys, tracking/ measurement programs, long hours, and stress.

Don't ask grad school or unemployed alumni for $$$

375 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Great Program!

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I worked at Teach for America part-time for more than a year

Pros

You meet amazing people and it is a wonderful program...You work with great students...the professional development is amazing.....you really develop yourself as a teacher. I will say if you're not 100% dedicated to working with underprivileged children in the inner-city don't join the corps..

Cons

Not a definite job placement once you join the corps.....no work/life balance.....possible rude teachers at your placement school.....Saturday trainings.....they take ALL of your AmeriCorps money :-(

Better screening of new corps members, we had WAY too many Detroit 2011 Corps members quit

2 year teacher - lifetime experience

Current Employee - High School Math Teacher  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a teacher in the Metro Atlanta region:

My corps experience helped me to gain a deeper understanding of the issues which are systematically holding back an entire class of people and connect with their struggles.

I was supported in my initiatives to make changes in my classroom, school and community.

I was trained to be an effective teacher and incredible

Cons

Incredibly hard work - don't think that you can pick up a second job (except for the summer) and parents should beware of the time commitment.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!