Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Teach for America has definitely strengthened my leadership skills

Current Employee - Corps Member
Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

.development, opportunity to work in under served communities

Cons

Some people in education have a negative perception of TFA and its corps members.

Don't continue to grow the organization. Our goal should be to eventually make TFA corps members un-needed.

438 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

TFA was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding!

Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to really make an impact on kids' lives. You're a teacher and you're there to teach a certain subject, but you do so much more than that. You could potentially change the path of someone's life, for the better. And that's an incredibly powerful experience.

Cons

It's very challenging. TFA is not just something to do as a resume builder. You have to really be invested in the work because it requires so much out of you. The work does not stop when the school day is over; it's almost as if it never stops. Needless to say, my personal life was pretty much nonexistent during that time.

Since I left the corps, I think there has been more effort to diversify TFA. But I hope these efforts are continuing and growing. Diversity awareness and training of teachers on culturally sensitive issues are of monumental importance.

Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding!

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Directly impacting the lives of others... measurable success in closing the achievement gap...Teaches leadership skills, teamwork, and other skills applicable in EVERY type of job.

Cons

Experiences differ greatly based on placement schools and regions. Do some research and learn about which region is best for you. TFA is VERY data driven, so sometimes things can seem ONLY quantitative... Be prepared for A LOT of paperwork, surveys, tracking/ measurement programs, long hours, and stress.

Don't ask grad school or unemployed alumni for $$$

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America