There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

TFA was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding!

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Newark, NJ
Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get the opportunity to really make an impact on kids' lives. You're a teacher and you're there to teach a certain subject, but you do so much more than that. You could potentially change the path of someone's life, for the better. And that's an incredibly powerful experience.

Cons

It's very challenging. TFA is not just something to do as a resume builder. You have to really be invested in the work because it requires so much out of you. The work does not stop when the school day is over; it's almost as if it never stops. Needless to say, my personal life was pretty much nonexistent during that time.

Since I left the corps, I think there has been more effort to diversify TFA. But I hope these efforts are continuing and growing. Diversity awareness and training of teachers on culturally sensitive issues are of monumental importance.

378 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding!

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Directly impacting the lives of others... measurable success in closing the achievement gap...Teaches leadership skills, teamwork, and other skills applicable in EVERY type of job.

Cons

Experiences differ greatly based on placement schools and regions. Do some research and learn about which region is best for you. TFA is VERY data driven, so sometimes things can seem ONLY quantitative... Be prepared for A LOT of paperwork, surveys, tracking/ measurement programs, long hours, and stress.

Don't ask grad school or unemployed alumni for $$$

Great Program!

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I worked at Teach for America part-time for more than a year

Pros

You meet amazing people and it is a wonderful program...You work with great students...the professional development is amazing.....you really develop yourself as a teacher. I will say if you're not 100% dedicated to working with underprivileged children in the inner-city don't join the corps..

Cons

Not a definite job placement once you join the corps.....no work/life balance.....possible rude teachers at your placement school.....Saturday trainings.....they take ALL of your AmeriCorps money :-(

Better screening of new corps members, we had WAY too many Detroit 2011 Corps members quit

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!