Teach for America
www.teachforamerica.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

TFA was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding!

Teacher (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

ProsYou get the opportunity to really make an impact on kids' lives. You're a teacher and you're there to teach a certain subject, but you do so much more than that. You could potentially change the path of someone's life, for the better. And that's an incredibly powerful experience.

ConsIt's very challenging. TFA is not just something to do as a resume builder. You have to really be invested in the work because it requires so much out of you. The work does not stop when the school day is over; it's almost as if it never stops. Needless to say, my personal life was pretty much nonexistent during that time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I left the corps, I think there has been more effort to diversify TFA. But I hope these efforts are continuing and growing. Diversity awareness and training of teachers on culturally sensitive issues are of monumental importance.

Great people, improbable solution

Corps Member (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros: Recruits incredible corps members. You'll make lifelong friends. Also, at the end of each year of… Cons: The work is ridiculous and has been known to give some first years PTSD. Moreover, few in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

TFA is awesome depending on what you would like to do with the rest of your life.

Corp Member (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros: If you want to be a teacher, you will be trained and pushed to a level that a 4 year degree in… Cons: There can be a lot of exclusion depending on what… Advice to Senior Management: Work on being inclusive of all members. Even the ones… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Teach for America.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teach for America CEO Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard . All reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees.