Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Got me in, didn't really help after that"

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA

Pros

I loved the experience of teaching at a low-income school and it is one that I will never forget. You will transform the lives of young adults as they enter into this constantly changing world we live in.

Cons

- TFA didn't really assist that much once I was in the classroom. All help was all frontloaded.
- Professional Development was not personalized - it was blanketed to all corps members.

You need to find a better way to support corps members for their specific situations

Other reviews for Teach for America

Teach for America has definitely strengthened my leadership skills

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

Pros

.development, opportunity to work in under served communities

Cons

Some people in education have a negative perception of TFA and its corps members.

Don't continue to grow the organization. Our goal should be to eventually make TFA corps members un-needed.

TFA was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding!

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

Pros

You get the opportunity to really make an impact on kids' lives. You're a teacher and you're there to teach a certain subject, but you do so much more than that. You could potentially change the path of someone's life, for the better. And that's an incredibly powerful experience.

Cons

It's very challenging. TFA is not just something to do as a resume builder. You have to really be invested in the work because it requires so much out of you. The work does not stop when the school day is over; it's almost as if it never stops. Needless to say, my personal life was pretty much nonexistent during that time.

Since I left the corps, I think there has been more effort to diversify TFA. But I hope these efforts are continuing and growing. Diversity awareness and training of teachers on culturally sensitive issues are of monumental importance.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!