Teach for America

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Do NOT Work in Information Technology Here

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Might be better than being unemployed. Might not. Depends on how abusive your manager is.

Cons

The IT Department is an absolute mess with an awful culture. In my 15 year career, it's the worst I've ever seen. Incredibly low morale. Incredibly high turnover. Verbal and psychological abuse from middle managers. Zero leadership from upper management who should step in and fire abusive people. I worked here for 4 (very long) months before returning to my former employer (a major university in NYC). During my 4 months, about 10 people left IT who worked in my area out of 50 people. Those who didn't leave were trying to leave. Now that I'm gone, former co-workers are asking me if there are any openings where I work.

You need to change the awful culture in IT. People talk to each other like they're dirt. Make an example out of one of the abusive people and everyone else will fall in line. The worst part is that the abusive people are absolutely replaceable. They're not even talented.

437 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Smart people, driven, but too many politics and not enough business sense.

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Smart people, flexible work arrangements, retirement matching, young people and social crowd. Great place to practice and fine tune your analysis and coaching skills.

Cons

Political and management with little experience. Often changing priorities based upon what the most recent HBR article reads. Hit or miss progress made in education.

Overworked, under appreciated, cult mentality

Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Teach for America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the people in TFA are extremely talented.
    It's a great resume builder.

Cons

TFA ignores the negative reviews it receives and the issues raised by communities about workforce attrition, limited training, and displacement of traditionally qualified teachers.
    Personally, I was given fifteen tasks or more a week including emailing hundreds of students and professors, giving ten speeches, planning monthly events, handing out flyers, making marketing plans, interviewing prospective TFA corpse members, etc, and only 10 hours of paid time in which to do it. When I tried to report the extra hours, I was told that the money I was claiming was coming out of funds to help under privileged children and guilted into not reporting my hours.
    Also, we were frequently given impossible deadlines, like arrange and give ten classroom speeches within the next four days, while being a full time student and doing all the other tasks on top of it.
    There was also a cult mentality where any disagreement was met with extreme negativity. It felt more like a cult than a non-profit, and we were specifically told to target faith-based organizations on campus for recruitment because people from those organizations were more likely to join the cause and be fine with the excessive righteousness and poor working conditions.

Be upfront and honest about what you expect. I was hired for a part-time position and expected to work full time without being paid for it.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America