There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

You've got to be in it to "win it!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Teacher in Hartford, CT

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is condensed into 5 weeks, but is rigorous, thorough, and best-practices driven. Student achievement is the centerpiece to everything that you learn, which shows that TFA has the children's best interests at its heart. You get incredible ongoing support from within TFA, as well as continuing education and/or professional development to constantly ensure that you're serving your students well.

Cons

On top of whatever work your school expects from you, TFA requires additional materials that must be turned in. It is a LOT of work, but you know it's to best serve your students. Finding down time can be a challenge, particularly in your first year. You've got to be committed to the cause and to your students in order to make it through the program! Otherwise, you'll fade quickly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Skip and do the real teacher training

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some amazing people, amazing students and had the chance to get my feet wet in the field of education.

Cons

No one listens to you. I was placed in a subject field I was not qualified to teach in. No one cared and no one listened but told me to stop wallowing in self pity. How can I "close the achievement gap" if i am unfamiliar with the content I am teaching students who need the help the most? They also are a little cult like, eyebrows raise when you do not agree with them or question their practices.

Advice to Management

Listen to your corps members.

2. A lot of learning, growing, and politcs

Current Employee - Corps Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to make a difference. Pay is decent if you consider the AmeriCorps grants. Really does a good job on preparing CMs with correct mindsets.

Cons

Tons of politics within the corporate staff. Placement can be difficult, and also there is a wide variance between placement schools. So some CMs may seem amazing but have an easier school, while other CMs may look terrible but have a much more difficult situation. ALSO, long hours. As in 70-90 hours/week

Advice to Management

Make sure every region is truly living up to the mission